Festool Parf dogs actual size to fit the MFT3!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought the Veritas Parf and normal dogs from APTC...
..tried them in a brand new MFT800 top and am disappointed at the 'slopiness'.
The diameter of the dogs that fit into the holes is 19.86mm.
Should they not be a lot nearer the 20mm hole size...ie. maybe 19.95ish?
I cant measure the hole sizes accurately..not having any bore mics!
I've not got the MFT3 yet..wondering if they will fit it any better!!

..surely I'm not being too 'picky'?

Gerry

I think this comes up a lot on FOG, there are 2 sizes of dogs available. 1 size is 20mm the other to fit the undersize holes. Im not sure if the parf dogs come in 2 sizes or not. But having a sloppy fit is no good for accuracy.

I must admit I had to look up "Parf Dog" as when I saw that the suggestion of 9 hundredths of a millimetre would improve accuracy I was intrigued as to there use in woodwork.

Again my curiosity got the better of me and I googled MFT 800 and came up with what looked like a piece of 18 mm MDF with a series of 20 mm (ish) holes at about 100 mm centres with a replacement top board coming in (small one) at about £70 + del, we could do these at say 1200 x 600 mm or to a given size smaller for about £40 + delivery and anything up to 3050 x 1200 mm so in reality you could adapt any size bench or saw horse set up to a MFT.
Thoughts?

Vally
I think you'ld sell lots if they are accurate (probably CNCd). I think the centres are 96mm if my sad memory serves me right.

Mark

vally bar":cr98d3zv said:
Good point so it's a non starter ;-)

Not at all, many of us are very happy with our replica MFT tops.
Mine was expertly made by Stu_2 of this forum.

Yes I am talking CnC at whatever centres you want up to 10 x 5 sheet size and probably up to 50 mm MDF although larger sizes would have to be collected or your own transport arranged.

vally bar":1m1ws247 said:
up to 10 x 5 sheet size and probably up to 50 mm MDF
No point making them thicker than 19mm or you can't get the clamps through the holes

I've just bought the Veritas Parf and normal dogs from APTC...
..tried them in a brand new MFT800 top and am disappointed at the 'slopiness'.
The diameter of the dogs that fit into the holes is 19.86mm.
Should they not be a lot nearer the 20mm hole size...ie. maybe 19.95ish?
I cant measure the hole sizes accurately..not having any bore mics!
I've not got the MFT3 yet..wondering if they will fit it any better!!

..surely I'm not being too 'picky'?

I think you'll find that the hole size is identical on all of the different MFT tops. I believe the size varied slightly with much older tops.

There is a reason for the slightly loose fit and I've read an explanation as to why but I can't remember where, probably on the Festool Owners Group Forum. I suspect it's because if the top was ever to swell a fraction due to moisture then the dogs would be too tight and awkward to use.
I wouldn't concern yourself with the loose fit affecting accuracy. They are threaded underneath with a standard M8 thread, so for a totally snug fit they can be easily fastened from underneath. I use a couple of the Festool knurled knobs that came with my clamps but anything else that fits will work fine.
I can certainly guarantee that using the Festool TS 55 in combination with the parf/bench dogs and MFT top will produce 100% accurate rip and cross cuts. When I first got my track saw I measured the accuracy of the cuts several times with a digital angle finder and it was 100% accurate time after time.

Back