Festool or Makita? Which router to go for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Been looking to buy a router and have narrowed the choice down to Makita RT0700CX2 , Festool OF1010 and Festool OF1400. Router will be used for general lightwork at home. I dont intend to buy multiple routers so I am trying to identify one that will be the best all rounder (or at least nearest to that as possible).

Makita is £200. Festools are £320 and £520 respectively.

What would you guys recommend? Makita or Festool? If Festool which model? Is the £200 price difference between the Festools justified through the features they offer?

Based on thousands of hours on Makita and Festo routers I would buy the Makita Rp1110C - it's the best 8mm-1/4" router I've used
The Makita you like is going to have poor dust collection because the motor cooling air is blown directly down onto the cutter - this is a common failing of many of these trimmer/ router type machines. The festos and the machine I recommended duct the cooling exhaust sideways so the dust extraction can use tooling induced airflow to help capture dust. The Makita RP1110 is quiter than the Festo and fits Elu 96 accessories like the fence and mini table/lipping planer set - it comes with proper collets in 1/4" and 8mm
Made in Japan too
Matt

If it matters I do use a Metabo ASr25 (class M filters) dust extractor. Not sure if this can be attached to the models discussed here?

I’m a light use hobbyist and can’t claim to have had experience of multiple makes or daily use in commercial work. Several years ago I took the plunge (excuse the pun) and bought the Festool OF1400. I had an Elu for many years and then a Bosch, both 1/4 inch, and figured that a 1/2 inch model would give me more options, ie a greater range of cutters and more power.

I have not been disappointed. The Festool is superb. Effortlessly powerful, very easy cutter change, smooth in operation, and near-total dust extraction (this is important for me, my workshop is a small room at the top of the house). Even if you don’t want to shell out for the Festool, I would definitely go for a 1/2 inch model of whatever make you do choose. My Bosch now lives in a home made router table where it still does good work.

I know it's not one of your options but I have 3 DW625 routers. Superb machines !

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

i have owned and used professionally the 1400 for about 6 years now. its a great and versatile router.

only irritation is the offset handle but if you plan the job around it then its fine.

I would avoid the 1010 its small and poorly designed....

adidat

Could someone kindly clarify a couple of things for me please? I have noticed that the router models get sold in 110v, 230v and 240v variants. Now I get 110v is not for house use. But what is the difference between 230v and 240v?

Also I have noticed that some 1/2" routers come with 1/4" and 1/2" collet sleeves. Does this mean that they will accept both 1/4" and 1/2" bits? If this is the case then why would one need 1/4" routers for?

AFAIK 230 and 240v are equivalent.

All 1/2 inch routers come with 1/4 inch (and in some cases 8mm which is slightly bigger) collets. So you can use the smaller cutters whereas the 1/4 inch routers can’t upscale. The advantage of 1/4 inch model is lighter weight. But with a decent router like the Festool 1/2 inch, it is so well balanced that IMO it is as manoeuvrable as the smaller version so more versatile.

I have all three of those proposed routers, the Makita RT0700, the Festool 1010 and the 1400 so can comment on those in comparison. The 1400 is great but in my experience a little top heavy due to the ergonomics and geometry of the offset handle. It also sometimes makes plunge cuts a little getting used to if you switch between other models. The offset on the 1010 is a lot easier to control and doesn't have the same issues in my opinion but this is just a function of it's smaller size. Both are great and I have no regrets buying them. That said, most of my powered tools are Festool and the strength in them is the overall system, i.e. the tracks, the LR32 accessories, etc.. A Festool router on it's own is just a very well engineered, albeit expensive, router. The Makita RT0700 is a lovely tool to use but lets be honest this is a trim router with some cool accessories - this will not replace a proper router in some circumstances.

Clearly budget is not the main driver here, if you buy only one, get the 1400 and just be prepared to spend some time on scrap wood getting used to the handle.

I would also be inclined to suggest the possible option of getting the 1010 and the RTC0700 in your scenario based on my own experience of that kit. They both fit a niche and the 1010 has expansion options via track purchases in the future. This is all assuming of course that you don't see a need for 1/2" bits in the immediate future.

I have both the 1010 and 1400 routers, but not the Makita you mention. I do have a small Makita router/trimmer that I use for laminate edging and have had it for 20 odd years,.... and it works well and has never let me down!

The Festool routers are really smooth and are my go to routers for more detailed work, especially the 1010..... The dust extraction on it is superb when, for example, I'm machining / straightening up a section of Corian. Cutting Corian creates static and a huge amount of chippings that can cling to everything, so good dust extraction is fundamental and both the Festools are renowned as having the best extraction in their class.

The handles on both of these routers can take a bit of getting use to if you have been used to the more standard layout such as the Dewalt & Elu offerings. I still use my Dewalts and Elu routers and they have been really good workhorses, but the Festool routers just offer that bit more finesse.

My only router is the OF1400, have had it for years.

It is a great all rounder, it gets used for everything from fitting worktops, routing out stair strings, in a router table and routing out for cabinet butt hinges etc.

When I got it I got a little Trend T3 for the finer stuff but that burnt out in no time, never got round to replacing it because the OF1400 does all I need.

A few people comment on the handles, I have no problem with them, in fact I like them, they make it really easy to use one handed.

Marineboy":388dib8e said:
AFAIK 230 and 240v are equivalent.

I thought tools generally came in 110v and 240v versions and only noticed the 230v recently. I noticed there is a difference in price between the 230v and 240v though. However found a thread in an electricians forum and it seems that the 230v has been brought in to bring us in line with Europe. No major differences as you say.

Doug71":388dib8e said:
It is a great all rounder, it gets used for everything from fitting worktops, routing out stair strings, in a router table and routing out for cabinet butt hinges etc.

A few people comment on the handles, I have no problem with them, in fact I like them, they make it really easy to use one handed.

I have noticed comments made regarding the handles in several places and how they can at times be a pain to get around apparently. However, at the same time the majority of feedback has no issues with the handle.

Distinterior":388dib8e said:
The Festool routers are really smooth and are my go to routers for more detailed work, especially the 1010..... The dust extraction on it is superb when, for example, I'm machining / straightening up a section of Corian. Cutting Corian creates static and a huge amount of chippings that can cling to everything, so good dust extraction is fundamental and both the Festools are renowned as having the best extraction in their class.

The handles on both of these routers can take a bit of getting use to if you have been used to the more standard layout such as the Dewalt & Elu offerings. I still use my Dewalts and Elu routers and they have been really good workhorses, but the Festool routers just offer that bit more finesse.

I'm a router virgin :oops: . On the positive side this means that I have not been used to any handles so might make it easier for me to get used to the Festool ones. One thing I have found strange is that most people complain about the handle of the 1010 but not as many complaints regarding the handle of the 1400. From what I can see the 1010 and 1400 are exactly identical in shape so not sure why the 1010 takes gets more flac?

I have also taken into account the advice given by Shrubby and Coley above and have done some more research on Makita and DeWalt models.

So with that in mind I think I have two choices. Both cost the same:

1. Get a Festool OF1400 (£520) and use just that as an all rounder.

2. Get a Festool OF1010 (£320) for fine work and take advantage of its lightweight. Get either a DeWalt DW625 (£255) or a Makita RP2301FCXK (£280) for 1/2" bits and heavier work.

Which one would be better?

Marineboy":1njkcmcy said:
Festool. It’ll do everything you want.
At what cost though ? [WINKING FACE]

I've just picked up a brand new Makita RP2301FCXK from hombase for £190, check your local one as they may have one left at that price, its a beast!!

I have a De Walt DW 621 and to be honest, every time I have investigated it, it has come up as the best router of all time??? I have to say the dust collection is amazing, its nice and light and if you can find one second hand, it can be an amazing buy.
Others will be better able to advise but if mine conked out I would want another, regardless, it's a classic.

Marineboy":3nvxztcp said:
Several years ago I took the plunge (excuse the pun) and bought the Festool OF1400. I had an Elu for many years and then a Bosch, both 1/4 inch, and figured that a 1/2 inch model would give me more options, ie a greater range of cutters and more power.

I have not been disappointed. The Festool is superb. Effortlessly powerful, very easy cutter change, smooth in operation, and near-total dust extraction (this is important for me, my workshop is a small room at the top of the house). Even if you don’t want to shell out for the Festool, I would definitely go for a 1/2 inch model of whatever make you do choose.

Agreed, the OF1400 is the one to go for - Rob

screwpainting":33yzqbu1 said:
I have a De Walt DW 621 and to be honest, every time I have investigated it, it has come up as the best router of all time??? I have to say the dust collection is amazing, its nice and light and if you can find one second hand, it can be an amazing buy.
Others will be better able to advise but if mine conked out I would want another, regardless, it's a classic.
I think the 625 was the router of choice for at least a decade when it first came out. I think originally made my elu, then the design made by trend and dewalt.

Latest posts

Back