Festool or Makita circular saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,this is my first post, hopefully the first of many.
I am about to move back to the Uk from Spain thank god and will be setting up all of my tools ect in a new workshop/garage I am building.My question is I currently have a Festool router and guide rail and want to buy a plunging circular saw and was intending to buy the festool TS75 to use with the guide rail but having just received an email from Axminster with an offer on the Makita SP6000 with guide rail for £150 less than the Festool saw only I am not sure what to do.How would members compare the two machines and does anyone have a preference.

Firstly welcome to the forum.

I am a Festool user and have a lot of their gear, so I'm probably not the right guy to give you the advice you're after, but here goes.

I don't have the 75 only the 55, only being a hobbyist I find it adequate for my needs. The one thing you have to remember with Festool is that a lot of its tools works with other bits, for example the router on the guide rail is the same guide rail as for the saw.

I'm not sure how robust the Makita is but the Festool as with all their tools is excellent. Another plus I think for Festool is the dust extraction from their tools, its got to be the best on the market.

The advice I would give you is regarding the 75 or 55, if you don't need the 75 then go for the 55.

Lets know how you get on. One other thing you might want to shop around for the Festool, you might get a deal where accessories are thrown in.

if you've got the cash then I'd say go with the Fes, however, I have the dewalt and it's excellent. Speaking to users who have used the Makita and dewalt, the verdict is unanimously in favour of the Dewalt. it also has the advantage of being able to use the Fes rail, which will save you a few penies more

The new Bosch plunge saw is another saw to consider it's certainly on a par with the the Makita and imho it's better than the Dewalt. If your hell bent on spending your money I'd buy the market leader and get the Mafell.

Thanks for your replies guys, I did'nt realise there were so many different makes on the market,so I need to explore the other options,but a further question is does anyone know if the Festool guide rail be can used with any of the other makes of Plunge Saw.As woodworking is just a hobby for me the Festool saw as with most of their range is pretty expensive but I realise you get what you pay for.

Woodmatt":143bjru4 said:
Thanks for your replies guys, I did'nt realise there were so many different makes on the market,so I need to explore the other options,but a further question is does anyone know if the Festool guide rail be can used with any of the other makes of Plunge Saw.As woodworking is just a hobby for me the Festool saw as with most of their range is pretty expensive but I realise you get what you pay for.

Most of these saws make their own guide rails and usually bundle a deal with them.

Maybe I am fussing to much,I already have a 3m festool guide rail and it seems a waste to get a different saw with another rail but the festool saw on its own is 150 odd quid more than the makita with the rail,so what I am trying to say is,is the festool 150 quid better than the makita.

I have had the Makita for 18 months now and been very pleased with it. £330 for the saw, 2 rails, and a bag is good value.

As a you're a hobby user the festool probably isn't worth the extra £150 to you. Sell the festool rails and the maki or which ever you buy will be even less.

I am a Mafell man myself KSP 55 the most well made durable bit of kit i own use it everyday constantly abused never let me down fantastic :-D

I bought the Makita saw 13 months ago and have never looked back. I haven't used any other saw but from what I've gathered the Festool TS55 does produce a marginally cleaner cut (due to the addition of an anti-splinter thing) but certainly not £150 better. The main advantage of the Festool is that it can be used as part of a system, but unless you are willing to spend a huge amount of money on their tables, routers and accessories then the extra outlay is rather redundant.

Hope this helps!

Mark

A point to consider is that used Festool tools sell for not much less than new.

FWIW Why are you thinking about the TS75?

For sheet goods the TS75 is overkill and, over a day, much heavier. There has been a lot of disscution of which is more useful and in all most all cases the TS55 is the go to saw.

Really glad someone has asked this question because I was having exactly the same thoughts just without the whole moving to Spain thing.

I've currently got a Bosch GKS65 http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/ocs/tools/101349/9445/hand-held-circular-saws/gks-65/ for which I have made a guide rail from a piece of laminate flooring. There's no doubt it would make a cracking saw for general use on a building site but 90% of my use has been to cut up sheet goods or rough sawn boards where I exclusively want to cut a straight line.

With that in mind I've been seriously considering getting a proper track saw. The Makita offer is certainly tempting but I'm being drawn to the new Bosch GKT55, with two 1600mm tracks it looks like a really good offer. The only draw back is the track looks to be incompatible with all the other makers tools. I believe the saw can run on Festool track but Festool stuff can't run on the Bosch track.

Again thanks for your replies everyone.
I was going for the TS75 just to get the extra depth if I needed it.I have now looked at a few sites with comparisons and have decided if I do go for the festool I will go with the 55.Having said that I have now had a good look at the BoschGKS65 as wobblycogs is considering and feel that maybe the way to go particularly if it will run on the festool rail.
Mark when I move back I will be in Carmarthenshire so I may pick your brains for local board and timber suppliers.

Back