Festool OF1400 Info

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for a good quality router to use for 100% handheld work (use my Bosch GOF2000 in my wood rat) for general routing and the occasional kitchen worktop. I have read the review in GWW and they seem to rate it as being capable of routing kitchen worktops even though its only 1400 watts. I already have the TS55 circular saw and I'm very impressed with it and the guide rail system. So i could use the guide rails with the OF1400 as well.

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Michel

I don't own one, but I've had a go of one belonging to another forum member. Pure quality :D - its now on my wish-list for hand-held use, as it is a pain taking my Makita 3612C out of the table. The depth stop, ratchet on the collet nut, dust extraction, fence, self-centring guide bushes, etc. etc. are all really nicely designed, the plunge action is very, very smooth, and it is a big bonus that it will run on your existing guide rails, although the adaptor for this is an extra.

If you go for one, check out this deal at Protrade - the price is as good as I have seen, and on top of that you get a worktop jig (and a cutter set, although I don't know if the cutters are any good)

NeilCFD

I have one too and it's a fabulous tool, so many features. Just like Neil listed and more :wink:
If you have the guide rails already then it's a must have.
Ho and very confortable handling.

CYC

Hi Michel,
The OF1400 is a superb router, i have all three of the festool range and the 1400 is the one i like most. when i did the test for gww i tested it on some oak and a worktop. it will cut a worktop scribe but in more cuts that it would normally take for a heavier wattage router. not what i'd recomend if you do it day in and day out. I tested it on a worktop because i wanted to test its ability at holding constant speed which it does very well. as i said in the article its a superb router and if you only ever own one router this one fits the bill very well.
regards

Ian

Waka, i have most of the festool stuff and i dont think i have ever been dissappointed with any purchase apart from their earlier model battery drills. there jigsaws work best with there own brand blades although the lennox is a good substitute.

I have the smaller 1010 model for hand use. I find it nice and light to use and it comes with an 8 mm collet for "heavier" jobs. Again superb quality.

Hello,

thank you for all the replies, they have been very helpful, seems to me the festool routers are the Rolls Royce of routers. Just like my TS55 circular saw is IMHO the Rolls Royce of circular saws.

Thanks again

Michel

I know this thread is old but I'm after some info on this router.

I am trying to ascertain what kit comes with this router and what is necessary to make it 'do' certain things.
I have spoken to a couple of retailers but they seem to be as capable of reading their own website/ catalogue blurb as I am. Minden UK are next to useless although they go a little further by actually opening boxes to have a look inside to give me info!
SO really two main questions:

Does the OF1400 come with the chip deflector as standard (part no KSF-OF1400 or 492732 depending on which column in the festool catalogue you look at).

What parts/ extras/ accessories do I need to rout holes for shelf pins etc using the drilled guide rails. The OF1010 seems to require an expensive sled but there deosn't seem to be an equivalent for the OF1400.

Your help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

Tim

Have you downloaded the Instruction Manual for the 1400? It's very comprehensive.

Reading the 1400 Instruction manual, it shows the Chip Diverter as part of the main body of the manual but the guide rail attachment is listed as an accessory.

The guide rail attachment fits the DW625 quite nicely! You might also want to take a look at the Microfence festool guide rail adpater set-up.

I've always found protrade to be pretty clued up re festool.

Just did a quick Google on prices for the 1400. Everyone was £358...thought we'd got rid of RPM :evil:

Roger

tim

Just to add a little info regarding Festool prices/purchases that I found when I bought some of their gear last year.

Festool Prices all appear to be the same on the internet, even ebay because retailers act as agents for Festool rather than as retailers, so in effect you always buy from Festool rather than the retailer (if that makes sense). This way Festool are able to control the prices that we pay for the goods. Whether this is right or wrong is another topic altogether.

I found that it is best to find a local tool shop that is a Festool dealer and go and speak to them. Whenever I have spoken to retailers they always seem to enthuse about Festool and are interested in the product. The best thing however about going to your local shop is that althought the prices will be the same, 20% discount from rrp (if I remember correctly) you should be able to negotiate a good deal with regards to accessories. With the OF1400 you might be able to get the guide rail adapter (very useful) or additional collets thrown in.

Anyway by going into the local dealer I have always betterd the best deal I can find on th internet and been able to hold/inspect the tools before I buy.

Hope this helps.

Saint

The Saint":2bz2j99z said:
The best thing however about going to your local shop is that althought the prices will be the same, 20% discount from rrp (if I remember correctly) you should be able to negotiate a good deal with regards to accessories.

I agree entirely.

Cheers
Neil

Back