Festool MFK 700

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr1

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got one of these, I have a few jobs coming up and want to switch from iron on edge(which I don't like) to solid. Thought this might make a nice neat job of it. It seems to be well thought of in the states, but I can't remember seeing anyone doing a review over here.

Its a fantastic piece of kit! I brought the OFK 500 which is good but the MFK 700 is the best. So easy to use, i'am thinking about buying one as well as i am starting to use abs edging more.

Never used a better trimmer!

For production you are better off setting up a router table with a small power feed. You could have all of this for the price of this trimmer. :shock:

Simon,

Can you explain the set up as i'm setting up a workshop and am looking for a efficient way of trim abs, pvc edging.

You just need a spacer plate of say 5mm on top of the table so that the edge of the edging doesn't foul the table. Set your fence and height power feed over the top and your away. ABS trims better if you climb cut. If you have iphone 4 you could facetime me and I can show you!

sorry only have 3GS :( . But v interested in this. Would a hand held trimmer be ok for this or would you def go for router table? If so can you recommend one, i've got a festool OF 2200 router but prob be better putting a cheaper one in the table do you think??

Oryxdesign":gcneqc9q said:
For production you are better off setting up a router table with a small power feed. You could have all of this for the price of this trimmer. :shock:

I see your point Simon, if I was making kitchen cab's. But I make the occasional curved piece and most of my stuff is one off, your Bosch set up looks good how do you set that up for curved work?

It's not really suited to curved work, if you are only doing very small quantities you are probably better off with the router vertices and a bearing cutter. Fir small quantities it can be trimmed with a chisel and then rounded over, your chisel needs to be very sharp.

Thank's Simon, as I'm only doing very small quantities, I'll just make sure my chisel is shaaarp.

Well despite Simon's advice, I bought one of these today. Just had an order for 10 wardrobes come in, so this was factored into the cost. Having looked at a few videos on you-tube, the combination of being versatile with good dust extraction won the day.

In order to do a fair test you should bring it over and we'll have a race. Loser buys the biscuits.

I'd like to hear how you get on. As a small router for small work it must be pretty good too.

Well first thing this morning I put it through its paces, with about 15 shelves to do. My first impression was the fabled festool dust extraction was pants, then I realised I was using the other side of the cutter, and was effectively climb cutting. Which of course throws the waste in a different direction :oops: . Once I'd sorted user error, the dust extraction worked brilliantly. It took about 3 mins to set up the MFK, a test cut and I was away, took just over an 1/2 an hour to do all 15 shelves. The 1.5 degree base works really well, making it virtually impossible to gouge the face. I'm happy how it handled what I did today, but I'm scratching the surface of what this can do :D.

DSC01916.jpg

I'm sure it will be worth the time saving in the long run and earn its keep. Such a nice looking little tool.

Back