Festool KS60 Comments or Reviews

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monions2112

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of looking for a new mitre saw - the best option for me appears the Festool KS60. The main reason is the depth of the slide rails (or lack of it).

I made a rookie mistake a couple of months ago and bought the Bosch GCM 8SJL. This is a great saw, it does all I need, but I hadn't appreciated the depth needed for the rear slide rails. Until now I've not had a shed/workshop to use, so all woodworking has been in the yard. I have just cleared out my shed and fitting it out as a workshop. First task was build the workbench and here is when I hit the problem. The Bosch mitre is huge - it needs 1m depth to allow the slide to go all the way back. This dwarfs the space I have available and blocks a lot of moving area.

So unfortunately, I have decided I will have to sell the Bosch and get a SCMS that can fit the space. I spent time at Axminster yesterday, almost all the mitre's they have the same issue, except for the Festool. I really didn't want to spend that much on the saw, I can see it's a great product but not sure I would do it justice.

So, I'd welcome any feedback people have on using the KS60 in real life, I can see lots of comments on the KS120/88 but none on the KS60. Also, is it worth paying the extra for the SET version with the LED light?

Thanks
Mark.

Metabo do a couple similar sized ones for a bit less and do a 72mm depth of cut. The KS60 is likely just a touch more accurate but, whether it's a worthwhile bonus, is up to what you want to do with it. Theres a thread on here discussing the KS and my initial thoughts on the pricier Metabo variant. "Mitre saw madness" is the thread title IIRC.

Edit: thread linkage viewtopic.php?t=96660

Thanks Neisun,

I found your Metabo thread just after posting this one. The KGSV72 looks like a good option. After figuring out the differences it looks like the base version (without SYS fence) is around £400, so about £100 less than the base KS60, so definitely worth investigating more.

Looks like you've had it for about 9 months now - how has it performed since then, are you still as pleased with it?

Wish I had done some more research before getting the Bosch .- it had good reviews, so seemed like a good option. But I really missed how deep the slides are, you don't notice them in the shop or in the yard.

MikeJhn - I did look at the Bosch Axial 12" yesterday, but it's too large for me and £100 more expensive than the Festool. I don't believe the 10" version is available in the UK.

Thanks
Mark.

I've been using it a lot of late doing some paneling, trim work and other assorted bits around the house. Still happy with it apart from 2 things: cut capacity and the 90 degree positive stop.

Skirting boards I've put in aren't huge at 100mm and you can't cut them vertically against the fence as they're too tall. Used the 12" dewalt for that.

As for the 90 / vertical stop, if you raise the saw from one side it gets you a 90 degree cut but, raising it from the other side stops at around 88. I forgot whilst doing a scarf joint on a dado rail. It was on the wall and we'll fixed before I noticed :( Nobody has claimed to have noticed (it's now hidden behind a curtain) but it will bug me until my dieing day ;)

The SYM bit of it actually saw some action today making edging for a filler piece between a built-in chair and a wall. Old house and wonky walls meant said piece was all sorts of fun angles. It surprisingly worked very well getting mitres pretty much dead on with very little brain taxation. Which was nice!

I do not have a KS60 having bought a Kapex 120 when they were first introduced into the UK, sold it after three years and then bought another a year ago. It is without question the best mitre saw I have ever bought/owned and my original saw, which I sold to a neighbour, is still working as good as the day it was made.

One of his work colleagues, in a similar position to you space wise, bought the KS60 having been impressed with the quality of cut of the KS120. He is delighted with it, the cutting capacity meets all of his particular requirements and he plumped for the full set as it was cheaper to get the lot rather than seperately. I have used it and if I didn't have the KS120, I would be sorely tempted as it is a lovely saw to use. I much prefer its LED spotlight to the laser lines on my Kapex.

I would have a very close look at the Metabo saw of Nelsun's. It looks a cracker and I can vouch for the usefullness of the SYM function as I have the Festool Sym 70.

But, whilst I am in no way knocking the Metabo (I have the little KGS216), Festool's build quality and warranty/service package is leagues ahead (IMHO). Plus you can purchase a KS60, put it through some exhaustive testing and if it is not the saw for you, simply return it within 15 days for a 100% refund. I don't think any other manufacturer offers an 'on approval ' service. I have just bought the HKC55 cordless saw and will do just that if it doesn't come up to spec.

(But I have to say that up to now it is absolutely brilliant. :D).

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

As I'd already made one mistake, I decided to take no chances this time and went for the Festool K60 - I know this will be more than good enough for what I need and I'd tested it in Axminster.

It's just been delivered from N&B. I'm now looking forward to unboxing it and using it.

Thanks.

Nelsun":29n9btsr said:
As for the 90 / vertical stop, if you raise the saw from one side it gets you a 90 degree cut but, raising it from the other side stops at around 88. I forgot whilst doing a scarf joint on a dado rail. It was on the wall and we'll fixed before I noticed :( Nobody has claimed to have noticed (it's now hidden behind a curtain) but it will bug me until my dieing day ;)

One of the most annoying things that can be said is "Oh don't worry about it, nobody is going to see it" except me every time I walk into the room, even walk past the open door to the room, it will eventually be the death of me. #-o

Mike

Back