Festool Kapex Recall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's interesting. There has been a good deal of complaining on FOG forums of Kapex motor failures and Festool failing to ac knowledge it. I wonder if this is related.

Don’t think it relates to the motor failures as they are on newer machines from what I’ve read, this retro fit is for machines from 2007-2010, mine will need sorting so it will be interesting to see how they are going to go about it.
The confirmation email I received to say my saw needs new parts read as if they would come to me to sort the problem but that might just be my interpretation.

Mine is 2012 so this doesn't affect me but the other motor problems did. First lasted about 18 months and second about 2 years, the third is the upgraded one and still working so I presume they got that problem fixed.

I got the impression you will have to send your saw in for the fix, quite nice to get your 10yr old Kapex refurbished for free though (y)

A mate has a few Kapex, one of which is knackered just through the abuse it’s taken but it is eligible for the refi, it’ll be interesting to see how that one comes back 🤔 :LOL:

Have they not sent you a letter Peter? Or is your saw not registered

Mine, more than likely, was registered. The suppliers are sticklers for that, and do it for you.
In the absence of any letters to me, possibly mine isn't concerned ? :unsure:

ATB,
Daniel 🎄

Mine, more than likely, was registered. The suppliers are sticklers for that, and do it for you.
In the absence of any letters to me, possibly mine isn't concerned ? :unsure:

ATB,
Daniel 🎄
Years ago it was up to the buyer to register the tools Daniel, it’s a newer thing retailers registering the tool for you.

I am not sure if anyone else has had an issue with the recall of the Kapex. I registered my machine when I bought it and Festool have made no effort at direct contact to notify me of this recall despite my account with them being active and up to date. I found out quite by accident.

I registered my machine for the refit on the 2nd Jan this year and received a registration confirmation, but then nothing until I chased them in May. Several days later they pointed me to the 3rd party outfit that is doing the work in Germany. They eventually booked the refit in for the 7-14 June,(this week) and sent me a box for the machine. The box has been in the UPS depot in Tamworth since the 29th May and hasn't moved. The 3rd party failed to read my emails and UPS is only staffed by robots. Apparently I now have another box on it's way which seems to have been stuck in Germany since Tuesday of last week. There is no way it is going to be here in Scotland by next Tuesday as per the tracking system.

I find the whole thing very disappointing for a company whose machines we pay a premium for. I have work booked for my machine on the 21st and now there is no way they will even receive it by then let alone return it to me. Being without it for 2 week is difficult to arrange when there is only one in the workshop.

Things go missing with couriers we know but there is never any excuse for not responding to customer queries in short order and with all the points addressed.

I have been thinking for quite some time know that Festool isn't worth the extra money. I need a new battery drill very soon and have been debating which manufacturer to go with since one battery tool is followed quickly by many more and one system is the way to go, Festool have moved to the bottom of my list of preferred brands after the issues with the Kapex.

@Hartwood - That sounds frustrating with the holdup at UPS, but you are possibly being a little harsh on Festool in this case.

I don’t think there are many companies that would undertake such a recall programme for products sold 13 years ago (as in my case) - by all accounts the machines come back having been given a pretty good overhaul as well as the electrical problem being fixed - mine is currently in Germany and due back shortly, so we shall see.

I also registered mine for the retrofit over New Year - I got an email and a phone call at various stages explaining that they had encountered logistics problems (possibly with the UK only) and the recall was delayed to Q2 as is now happening. I got another phone call to confirm all the details regarding the shipping box and timing which has all happened like clockwork. I have been critical of Festool UK’s service function based on a few experiences, but in this case, I feel that the original outlay on what has been an excellent machine has been more than vindicated.

I trust your glitch will get sorted out quickly.

Cheers

Shipping a machine to Germany and back into the UK for repair is going to be harder these days, that's just inevitable.

A large part of the delay has been down to the fact that post-brexit, there would be export/import duties applied on each saw; this has taken some time to work around, and I received an email from Festool explaining this. My empty box was delivered last week, and the full box is being collected on Monday, with an expected turnaround time of 10 working days. My Kapex is 8 years old; I have no complaints, so far. 👍

Mine went a week last Thursday so I’m hoping it will be back sometime this week, For me it’s been a fairly seamless experience so far, touch wood

My Kapex was picked up by UPS on 4/6/21 for its trip to Germany. I received neither receipt nor email confirmation that it had been picked up.
The UPS site has been unable to locate it using the tracking no. that Festool gave me since it set off on its journey.
"Unable to complete your tracking request at this time. Please try again later."

If the TR is not recognised by UPS, then UPS cannot confirm its existence or wherabouts, according to the lady with whom I managed to speak.

My advice to anyone giving their saw to a chap with a van would be to either insist on a receipt or take a photo of the fellow, the box and the van. It might, but probably won't, help in the event of a need to make a claim.

Phil - ever hopeful.

Latest posts

Back