Festool Kapex ks 120 or 88?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexmorley1

Reaction score
Hi all

I need some advice, I am looking to buy the FESTOOL chopsaw but I fail to see the difference between the 2 saws. Could someone please explain the difference between the two.

Thanks

Al

The blade is bigger. The number is the max depth of cut. I think the 120 also comes with the lasers and the 88 doesn't.

Ah! you bought one of those! What is it like to use? How big is it say compared to the DW718 and if you don't mind me asking how much are they over here? Reason I ask is i could do with something a little smaller for site work.

Alan
Forget about using it for site work
They are to heavy and awkward for the in and out of a van and setting up
and IMHO will not last as long as either the De-walt or Makita or even the Festool
On the video that blister posted at 1:48 in the video the guy is having to use a sack trolley to move the thing LOL

One of my main gripes was when cutting bevels on a tall moulding that was hardwood the saw would flex and would give an uneven cut
The positive stops on the one I had broke at 22.5 degree Got it repaired under warranty and sold the saw on
I am now back to using my 10 year old Dewalt 712
I would love to get the 780 ( an improved 718) but cant justify the expense at the moment

The 718 is lighter, easier to handle/Carry and store
Its also more robust than the Bosch

The festool saws are Good and accurate saws But for me there are better saws out there for less money that will take the everyday abuse from first and second fixing and roofing but still hold there own with fine works

Roger

They both have the same blade size 260mm, they both have the same power, but the 120 has some extra features and a slide out scale, it also has an adjustment which gives some extra capacity in a certain position. if your a roofer you don't need all the stuff on the 120.
My mate has one and it seems easier to handle than my Makita LS1013 even though it weighs the same at 21kilos
I think the Bosch weighs nearly 30kilos.

Ah I see. Thanks Roger. I would have gone for the Kapex as it is lighter than the DW but after having tried one I found the handle and trigger awkward for me having small hands, the DW falls nicely into my hand.

alexmorley1":zh7aqopi said:
So is the 120 worth the extra £300?!?!?!

No Not in my book
But I do think that virtually all Festool products are way over Priced
I'd Put the money saved towards getting some good quality tools
that you know your going to get eventually LOL

Roger

Al,I was wondering the same thing with reference to the difference. So I can let you know tomorrow night,as I have the Festool rep coming to give me a demo on the 120.

If it performs well,then there will be a Makita LS014 coming up for sale.

Regards,

Mark.

Well had the Festool rep come and give me a demo on the Kapex.
Very nice bit of kit. The 120 and the 88 have the same spec nearly with regards to cutting. The 120 has an option to lock the slider in place,and then you can cut 120mm in a straight up and down motion. (Hope that makes sense :D ) the 88 does not have this option. Also the 120 has a dual line laser,the abilty to wind a compound angle in and the angle attachment which the 88 does not have.

You could say that it is a lot extra for these features for the 120 over the 88,but I guess that it is down to the individual and their requirements.
After having a good play,I decided that it was right for me and have ordered one and it should be here next week.
I must say that the Festool rep was really good,and as well as the free t-shirt and gift,there was also a voucher for £100 of the Kapex.

Cheers,

Mark.

Back