Festool Jigsaw - Advice Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I am thinking of getting the Festool Jigsaw, but I can't make up my mind between the traditional design and the one handed model. Has anyone used the one-handed model and what do you think?

Also does the Festool guide attachment fit into the Trend track? probably not, but it would be great if it did.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Cheers
Neil

Neil,

I haven't tried the Festool, but I find it alot easier to use our D-handled Bosch by holding it round the body. Even though the handle makes it a little awkward I just feel you have more control. If the Bosch had been available without a handle I'd have gone for it like a shot. Just one opinion, and worth what you paid for it :D

Cheers, Alf

well, norm uses one without a handle so they MUST be good :roll:

I have never used one without a handle, they look good. Mind you I only have a cheap black and decker jigsaw - 2 years old now and its still holding up :shock: I rarley use it.

Think I will go for a nice without handle one..

festool jigsaw ... the best .. i have a makita for rough work but the festo is brill .. the guide rail system is the same as the old elu one .. but u can get 5metre long rails ... protrade were doing a deal £199 + vat
the problem with round bodied over handle is hard cutting is really fatiguing i cut a lot of ali and the round bodied is always jumping about were when i use the top handle type i seem to have more control and apply a greater even pressure
model festool psb300eq

Thanks all for the advice.

The best deal locally, where I can actually touch and feel the goods, is at Protrade in Chesterfield. Luckily my office is close to J27 of the M1. As Maddog says 199 + VAT and you get 40 free Lennox blades. Apparently they are the only blades recommended by Festool, apart from their own.

The only problem is that they only have the normal handled one in stock, so I'll have to forget the round-bodied.

Cheers
Neil

Neil,

The body grip types are favoured by our continental cousins as they tend to use jigsaw inverted. ie. cutting from the underside of the work, following the line on the top face with the blade poking through.
It makes sense as the blades normally cut on the upstroke so will feather the top face of the work. Longer cuts are difficult though, but try it on smaller stuff and you may be pleasantly surprised. Although I own a hoop handle design which I've had for years, I do like body grip models for this reason. They aren't too bad to use the right way either, it's down to good blade and pendulum selection to get the best cut. They can be a bit long though, so not the best for making cuts in tight corners such as kitchen worktop cut outs.
You could use down cutting blades to minimise splintering face cuts, but if you've ever used them, you'll know they are difficult to control as they try to lift the saw away as they bite.

Andy

Hi Andy

Thank you for the information. I have now purchased thge "normal uk" jigsaw and I just cannot get over how easy it is to use.

The attention to detail is amazing. You partially fit the splinter guard, then start the jigsaw and push the splinter guard against something solid to use the jigsaw to cut the opening for the blade.

I was cutting out some fairly large oblongs and following the lines was just so easy. You point the tool and it cuts where you want to go.

I only have one problem now. I am so pleased with the FESTOOL quality that I will have to buy their sander as well. Perhaps I can delay the new car for SWMBO? Oh no, what did I say!!!

Cheers
Neil

I keep reading very good reviews about the festool tools. And reading the different tools descriptions I like it a lot. Only thing is, as usual, I can't get it in Ireland :( starting to hate this place...

I am very interested with the orbital sander, it looks like a powerful sander with better dust extraction technology. And the shape also looks very confortable.
Where is the cheapest online place to buy festools in the UK, anyone knows?
I only know axminster and rutlands from all your postings.

Hi CYC

I bought it from ProTrade http://www.protrade.co.uk/ and they seem to have lots of special offers.

It is worth waiting for one of their offers on the tool that you want. The price seems to be comparable to eveyone else but they bundle in some extras. The blades included with mine were "valued" at 70-80 pounds, so must have been about 30-40. Nevertheless, a good saving.

Cheers
Neil

Hi CYC,

I'm sure I've seen Festool down below. Try Flannery Tool Technic Ltd in Ringsend, Dub 4. Tel 01 6670082.

Rgds

Noel

Noely, is there any good place in N. Ireland i should try to go to with lots of cash in my pocket?

I often have to go to Donegal, anythind on way ?
Derry is not so far too.

I'll try to get to Flannery ToolTechnic, found the address thanks.

Hey CYC,

Think there's only 2 Festool agents in the North - www.siaagencies.com
in Belfast, big Sheppach people also and www.weldtecltd.co.uk
in Coleraine (about an hour East of Derry). Weldtec's website is usually dead, tel no 04870329523 from the South, 02870329523 from the North).
Personally I don't really bother with either unless I'm really desparate.
If you are heading to Donegal, go via Omagh and Lifford and have a look at Linton & Robinson in Dock St, Strabane.
www.linton-robinson.co.uk
IMVHO it the best tool shop in Ireland. Garth is the boss man and he'll talk prices no problem. as I'm sure you are aware nobody, North or South pays sticker price for anything...
Metabo, Hitachi, EB, Dewally, Porter Cable, Delta, Bostich, Record, Jet (always has SS Saw on display), Panasonic, Tormek, Trend, Makita,Fein,Bosch,Freud etc, etc.
End of Ad..

Rgds

Noel

Hi

Not wishing to denegrate Festool at all I just thought I'd point out that Bosch are scheduled to bring out a new range of industrial (i.e. blue) jigsaws in February next year and that they, too, will have the same blade support mechanism that the Festool has - should be cheaper too! I'm not knocking Festool - I have used a couple of their random orbit sanders for 4 years or so now - just wanted to point that there are alternatives on the horizon...

Scrit

Now running away to see if he can't find the pennies to replace his Metabo jig saw....

Hi Scrit

It will be interesting to see how well the Bosch does. I got my Festool for 199 plus vat (plus 40 Lennox blades) and I think I got a real bargain.

It is just wonderful to use.

Cheers
Neil

At that price with 40 blades (at circa 80p to £1.20 per blade) you really did get a bargain. Every Festo tool I've ever used has been really sweet to use, so when you say it's a good 'un I can really believe it.

Scrit

Noely, I have made it to Flannery Tool Technic Ltd in Ringsend. They only sell the Festool range but they have everything 8) . This is excellent because as far as I am concerned these brand looks VERY good.

I got a catalog from them and am browsing, saliving at all the wonders available. The catalog alone is very well made, I am even more impressed with this brand.

It's pricy but reading the technical description and all the good reviews from users I will most definitely spend my cash on Festool from now on.

Thanks again Noely, delighted to have found this retailer.

CYC

Cyc,

What are the prices like, especially for a Randon Orbital Sander???
I'm sure Charlie has welded his cut onto it.........

Rgds

Noel

Back