Festool Jigsaw - Advice Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have the prices with me. Of course It's all in Euro.
Any model in particular you want to get the price for?

I think it varies from €300 to €500.

I got the price list today. So there are 3 random orbital sanders, one of extra fine finish, one for harder material removal and an intermediate.

The prices are from €210 to €304+ VAT, there 2 options each time where you get he systainer with it or not.

Sorry my last mail was a little off :oops:

Personaly I want to get the intermediate one, ES 150/5 EQ Plus (which is of course the most expensive :roll: ). If anyone has it I'd love to hear about it.

CYC

I have two of the previous model the ET2e (150mm 3mm orbit) - absolutely stonking machines (first one replaced a Boscxh GEX150AC - good, but not AS good, second one came from a closing down sale almost unused). Personally, if you are looking to do finishing work I'd suggest the 3mm orbit (ES150/3 EQ?) rather than the 5mm orbit which I thought were aimed at painters for refinishing work (5mm orbit works faster), although I could be mistaken there. Only replacements to date have been hook and loop pads, but they tend to wear out anyway.

If you want a recommend for abrasives I'll say try Mirka - they do a web-backed product which has about 2 to 3 times the life of the paper/cloth backed discs and gives improved dust extraction. Only problem is that it costs twice as much as the ordinary Mirka stuff (or about 25% more than the Festool stuff) and they require a Mirka-supplied hook and loop pad. One point about the Festool, make sure that you lay in a stock of abrasives as they do use a non-standard hole arrangement (as opposed to Bosch, Metabo, etc who share the same arrangement) - one of the costs of the better dust extraction you get on the Festool. For best results always use your sander attached to an extractor

Scrit

Scrit, thanks for your advice, can you explain to me the difference between 3mm and 5mm (the ES150/3 and ES 150/5), is this the actual orbiting value (distance)?

You are correct on the figures anyway, would you be able to switch on the ES150/5 between 3 or 5 mm strokes?

How do you know all this Scrit!!?? :wink:

How do you know all this Scrit!!??

I think that us amateur woodworkers are very lucky to have professionals like Scrit posting on this forum - I'm constantly amazed at how much he knows. Also comments are delivered in an unpatronising way, which is very refreshing compared to other forums (non-woodwork) which I post to for my work.

I would just like to say its much appreciated!

NeilCFD

CYC

Don't think the orbit can be changed without a workshop bench session, but as I've never had one in bits.... You might want to contact the UK and Ireland distributors, Minden Industrial in Bury St. Edmunds about this and for advice on the orbit qualities. What I have read about the different orbits is that the 5mm orbit is "more aggressive" - I therefore assume that this is the same logic which is applied to orbital 1/2-sheet sanders where the larger the orbit the more aggressively the machine will cut. My requirement is to use the ROS for finishing, as opposed to stripping finish, so the 3mm orbit does me just fine. Anyone interested in how ROSs work should follow this link: http://www.festool.com/com/index.html (Select International, then follow this path: Products -> Product Animations -> Eccentric Sander/ ES150 Animation)

In answer to the second question - propellor head (IT techno nerd :roll:) turned sort of full-time w'wer. It was that or become a trainspotter...... :lol:

Neil, thanks mate :oops: I'll pay yer later..... Now back to work

Scrit

Scrit,

a question from one propellor head to another.

Do I take it from the festool site that to use an
'eccentric' sander I have to wear a monocle,
smoking jacket and cravet while sporting a long
cigarete holder.

In his best Terry Thomas Voice...

"Well Helloo"

sorry

Signal

:lol:

Thanks Scrit for your usual top class advice.

Can't you use a very high number abbrasive to get the fine sanding on the 5mm orbit leaving you the option to benefit from the aggresive sanding when needing to strip? I mean would you really not get the same quality fine sanding with the 5mm orbit?

At the end of the day I would be mainly fine sanding, so you have a very good point on getting the ES150/3, and it's that little cheaper too :wink:

Latest posts

Back