Festool itch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im on a slippery slope, i started with the Domino and TS55, now got Rotex coming and extractor and a HOODIE 🤦‍♂️ im doomed. The problem (or not a problem however you choose to look at it) is i am moving to Canada and Festool is around £100-200 cheaper across all machines here compared to there so im busy buying all the stuff (in 110v) that i "definitely" will have a need for in the future.

Festool do make some nice stuff and looks like you have bought some of their finest offerings 👍

Once you start it is hard to stop, it's the plug-it leads, extraction and Systainers that have me. If I buy a different brand tool I have to buy a Systainer for it, a plug-it converter and probably mess around to make the extraction hose fit properly so I might as well just buy the Festool in the first place :rolleyes:

Why not spend more on genuine quality that will last you a 1000 more jobs. if it's not stolen after the first couple ...

I don't know one single tradesman that hasn't had a van broken into.

....On that basis then, in your opinion, all tradesmen should only be buying Parkside graded tools due to the fact that all genuine quality tools will eventually get stolen by scumbags..??....Oh, how I wish someone had told me that 39 years ago when I bought my first Elu router.....I could of bought 5 Red Devil routers for the same price as I paid......And yet funnily enough, that old Elu is still going strong even after all these years .

Sounds like Snap on tools, very expensive but if you break one they just replace it, trouble is you need to break them at least twice a year to justify the cost. So with Festools theft insurance, this would explain their high cost. I am amazed they cover theft from a van, a lot of insurance policies will not cover theft from a van as they do not expect you to leave tools in there unless vehicle locked in a secure building. I have seen where vans have been opened up like a tin of sardines by scumbags to get in, and in some cases have not even believed the signs saying " no tools left in here overnight" so breaking into an empty van and causing so much damage it is a write off.

It is not only the durability you are paying for, cheap tools often underperform as well. I thought for years that some painters must be magicians or know some secret that only they new and passed on because I used to make a right mess, but then brought some expensive paintbrushes on a recomendation and it dawned on me that there is a lot more to a brush than a few bristles stuck on a handle, and yes there is still a high level of skill but a lesser skilled person can achieve better results when using comparable tools.

genuine quality tools will eventually get stolen by scumbags
On the basis that a scumbag is more than likely a brain dead junkie or an alcoholic then they have no use for the tools stolen and so where is there outlet, you can hardly turn up at the local bootsale with a car full of expensive tools and expect not to be noticed.

On the basis that a scumbag is more than likely a brain dead junkie or an alcoholic then they have no use for the tools stolen and so where is there outlet, you can hardly turn up at the local bootsale with a car full of expensive tools and expect not to be noticed.

Unfortunately, there is always someone down the pub, for example, that will buy tools knowing that they are likely to have been stolen.....The lowest of the low in my opinion.....

....On that basis then, in your opinion, all tradesmen should only be buying Parkside graded tools due to the fact that all genuine quality tools will eventually get stolen by scumbags..??....Oh, how I wish someone had told me that 39 years ago when I bought my first Elu router.....I could of bought 5 Red Devil routers for the same price as I paid......And yet funnily enough, that old Elu is still going strong even after all these years .
Good for you. It doesn't necessarily make other people wrong, though.

I remember going to a massive car boot in London years ago with my b.i.l. - the amount of first class kit there was staggering, including Festool stuff. There was no way under the sun most of the stuff wasn't stolen.

If you have a festool airstreem battery and the tool attached is stolen then you can track its location via the festal app.

Also, the domino is the best and most versatile powertool on the market today by a mile. Sensational bit of kit.

My Lidl battery drill has lasted me three plus years of pretty much daily drilling of wood, thick steel etc. Drill and battery life is still as new.
And Ryobi have a three year tool warranty - which got me a replacement nail gun within a week of the old one failing.
Personally I can’t afford a workshop of expensive kit - I’ll happily fork out for the accuracy of saws (like my dewalt table saw) but a drill is a drill as far as I’m concerned.

The more you use the Festool system @danst96 the more you’ll come to appreciate it, it can be a really good time saver & increase your productivity, like only needing one power lead & having one dust hose that fits all you tools.The Centrotec system is another rabbit hole but takes using a cordless drill to another level.

Personally what I also like is that their dust extraction is well thought out & works, not an after thought like some manufacturers. You only have to look at the Kapex it’s been out 15 plus years & still has the best extraction for a chopsaw.

Most of my gear is 10+ years old & still going strong so although it was a big investment at the time they’ve more than payed for themselves in many ways. Don’t get me wrong I’m not a dye in the wool Festool man but I’ve near regretted paying for quality tools.

I got bitten a couple of years ago with a festool delta sander, i bought a clarke for one job but it was so noisy & vibrated so badly i bought a festool, it was brilliant & i was converted, I now have a ts 55 tracksaw & likewise its accuracy was a revelation.
I would only buy their stuff for a particular job but its worth it.
Then i bought one of those festool folding knives..... very good it is too. I draw the line at a hat though.

How about a pencil, then? Gave all the lads who worked for me a Festoola for Christmas a few years back - a Festool pencil!

Unfortunately, there is always someone down the pub, for example, that will buy tools knowing that they are likely to have been stolen.....The lowest of the low in my opinion.....
Another sign of how society has reached a new low, the justice system just fails everyone and political correctness has to take some of the blame. What happened to the days when a working mans tools were sacred, there was a time when you could leave your tools on a site and no one touched them and tool theft from vans was rare but now anything goes.

My neighbour is a builder, he had his van done and had a cctv recording of the guy grinning, sticking a finger up to the camera.
There is a good example of the british police, it used to be the criminals that wore the handcuffs and now it is the police, so restrained by rules and PC that they have lost control and respect. Best solution to that guy is wait six months then pay him a visit and let him have some time to think in hospital.

enjoy the Festool itch, I discovered it about 10 years ago and it is when the hobby took off for me in multiple directions, not just Festool power tools but antique and hand tool work also. The Festool 'group' is also much larger than we think including the likes of Tanos, Sawstop and Narex.
...Festool group (TTS Tooltechnic Systems AG) now includes the Shaper Origin - Shaper Origin

As a bit of a sad geek, I've been sorely tempted...

(*) I "only" have a TS55 at the moment (the rest is mainly Makita & DeWALT), but have some benches to make soon and Dominos... Mmmmmmm.... So Tasty....

Back