Festool hose blocked !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Nako

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Festool Midi dust extractor - fantastic bit of kit !

However.. I now have a blockage about half way down the hose which despite my best efforts I can't dislodge.

I've tried a drain blockage rod, 'massaging' it.. twisting the hose etc. etc. to try to dislodge whatever's there but to no avail.

I certainly don't want to pay £150 for a new hose - can anyone suggest a way that I might be able to clear this ?

J

Hmm...

I just got a MIDI and had a look at the dust bag to see if it was full earlier. The suction really seems to compress the dust into a brick-like consistency. I was wondering how you know when it's full and decided I'd just swap bags when stuff no longer gets sucked up. But now I'm kind of worried I'll solidify the inside of the hose first...

Hmm...

I just got a MIDI and had a look at the dust bag to see if it was full earlier. The suction really seems to compress the dust into a brick-like consistency. I was wondering how you know when it's full and decided I'd just swap bags when stuff no longer gets sucked up. But now I'm kind of worried I'll solidify the inside of the hose first...
I was about to ask the same thing - apologies if this is hijacking the OP's thread, I can start a new one if preferred.

I have a CTL Midi, and noticed the portion of the bag under the filter gets brick-like while the other half is almost empty. When should it be changed? It's a CTL not a CTM so I don't get the low suction warning. I've gone through 5 bags with them only being mostly half full!

ctl midi bag.png

Last edited:
I was about to ask the same thing - apologies if this is hijacking the OP's thread, I can start a new one if preferred.

I have a CTL Midi, and noticed the portion of the bag under the filter gets brick-like while the other half is almost empty. When should it be changed? It's a CTL not a CTM so I don't get the low suction warning. I've gone through 5 bags with them only being mostly half full!

I just use mine until it stops sucking, you can tell when the suction drops off, also the tone of the extractor changes slightly when it's really full. I'm always amazed how full you can get the Festool bags before they need changing, they really are like a breeze block when you take them out.

I have never had a problem with a bag getting too full and the hose getting blocked, once the bag is full the suction drops right off so can't see it would happen.

Depending what I have been doing I sometimes empty the bags and reuse them, only takes a couple of minutes, I am obviously a stereotypical tight Yorkshireman 🙂

I just use mine until it stops sucking, you can tell when the suction drops off, also the tone of the extractor changes slightly when it's really full. I'm always amazed how full you can get the Festool bags before they need changing, they really are like a breeze block when you take them out.

I have never had a problem with a bag getting too full and the hose getting blocked, once the bag is full the suction drops right off so can't see it would happen.

Depending what I have been doing I sometimes empty the bags and reuse them, only takes a couple of minutes, I am obviously a stereotypical tight Yorkshireman 🙂

Thanks Doug. I've probably been too cautious with it and convinced myself it is picking up less, when in reality I could probably go until the the bag is completely full. I've certainly never been anywhere near the hose blocking as the bags have always been half empty.

Am I right thinking you can get reusable bags for these?

Out of interest, if anyone has a CTM, how full is the bag before you get the warning?

Festool do some reusable bags which are very expensive and not recommended for fine dust.

A few places do some with a zip or similar on the bottom which you can reuse quite a few times although I have never tried them.

Example here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35332271...10001&customid=f8d2fb5abeb9ef168d0f1a30348ff7
I sometimes end up just shaking the dust out of the inlet hole of the standard bags into a bin bag if the bag gets full and I have no spares with me, seems to work okay.

Doug could you remove the plastic bits from a full bag and pop it in the log burner if you have one in the shop :unsure: if it goes as solid as you say then no reason why it wont burn, free heat in winter a Yorkshire man's Holy Grail :LOL:

Can you not do as I do with my very expensive Lidl hoover and just cut the end of the bag, empty it and clip or hot melt glue it back together again? I keep cardboard boxes from groceries etc. and fill them with dust and shavings for the stove.

I've got the reusable bag in the workshop. it's pretty sturdy to be honest. not worth the festool price but no shocks there! I'll its like a thick felt with a well made split pipe closure. it does muck the filters a bit.

Back