Festool Guide Rails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quetech

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at the combination angle accessory for the guide rails
but I have seen two types .
Rutlands have one on their site which is different from the one on the festool site.
Has anybody got one and what type. :?

Oh poo, why didn't i read this last night? I have just ordered the saw, guide rails, limet stop, clamps and yes the angle unit. Now you've got me thinking what one i will get.

I will let you know.

Regards

Woody

Woody

I checked today and Festo only do the one type of angle unit.
The other one I saw was apparently the old style.
I ordered it as part of a set in it's own case with clamps etc.

Mike

Mike, you are right. I received mine yesterday along with the saw. What a excellent piece of kit.

Regards

Woody

Simon,

I got it from wwwprotrade.co.uk. At the moment you get a second 1400mm guide rail with the saw. If you are going to get one can i also recommend that you buy the angle unit as this really is an excellent accessory.

Anyone who is in the market for this type of saw should at least consider this one. It is simply first class, and those who (like John Elliott) have sung its praises in the past are spot on. You cannot buy better.

Regards

Woody

Thats it Graeme. I can assure you that it is well worth getting. As they state in the link it is well engineered and this is evident as soon as you take it out of the box.

Are you going to get one?

One thing that i have just noticed is that the angle unit they are describing has 3 pins and a adjustment screw in the middle one, but my one has 2 pins and both of these have adjustment screws.
Another piece of useful information.

Regards

Woody.

I'm tempted Woody. I have the multifunction table which has a fence along the rear that you can set for angled or square cuts but the table is quite limited in depth between the fence and the front guide rail support so larger panels need to be cut using a seperate guide rail and it would be nice to have a way of ensuring they were square.

How much was the angle unit?

Graeme

I was curious. I went to Rutlands to see the price of this fabulous angle unit, and see what it looked like on the Woodshop Demos site. Hell's bells, 60 quid for a glorified protractor?! :shock: :shock:

Cheers, Alf

£60 does seem a bit steep but once you have started down the Festool slope you get used to exorbitant prices :D (or should that be :( )

Graeme

Festool stuff is 'aspirationally priced'.

Having read the woodshopdemo review of the angle guide, I went on to read his set up for rip cuts. Very good, I thought. I already do something like this, but hadn't thought of actually cutting a steel rule so as to give a direct reading.

John

Alf wrote;

I was curious. I went to Rutlands to see the price of this fabulous angle unit, and see what it looked like on the Woodshop Demos site. Hells bells, 60 quid for a glorified protractor?!

Hells bells don't pull your punches girl. 60 quid for a glorified protractor. Bit steep heh, maybe thats why i only paid £27. :p :p. I suppose if you spend a few bob with these companies they want your repeat business. 8) 8). For instance i went back to them yesterday and got the 800mm guide rail for £28.
But even then i have already wrote this and the saw off on the commission i got last week. :D :D :D :D :D The customer wants me to build fitted units in their bedroom, and as my dewalt has given up the ghost and ii need a saw on site, i have written this saw into the cost of materials etc. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Although i love woodworking, this is my business, and if this saw gives me the speed and accuracy i need to get the job done, then i do not hesitate to buy it, and in the few days i have had this glorified protractor, it has saved me both time and money already.
After all you and other members would not flinch at paying a couple of hundred for a Lie Nielsen. Yet with a £40 Stanley and a cabinet scraper i could get the same finish.

I stand by what i have said this angle unit is a excellent accessory.

Regards

Woody

I have to say I'm with Woody and John on this one......The Festool gear is fantastic.....expensive,but fantastic. It also does everything it claims it can do which can't be said for a lot of thing these days! I for one will only be purchasing Festool power tools from now on.....

Simon

woodythepecker":3j73730t said:
After all you and other members would not flinch at paying a couple of hundred for a Lie Nielsen.
Ah, inevitable I suppose. Personally I flinch like crazy, which is why I never have. Mine have all been birthday or Christmas presents, and I think you'll agree value for money isn't really the issue in that case. Although as they'll last my lifetime and more, I think they beat any power tool hands down as something to drop a couple of hundred on, but then I would.

woodythepecker":3j73730t said:
Yet with a £40 Stanley and a cabinet scraper i could get the same finish.
Good for you. But why are you spending £40 on a Stanley? You could get a better one for £20. Tsk. Festool, spend, spend, spend mentality see? Catching... :wink:

I'm not doubting the saw and guiderail set up is wonderful in all respects, but it does seem that once Festool have got you in the loop the prices for the extras are a bit, erm, cheeky. £20 for a clamp and so forth. But never mind, if you're enjoying the ride no problem.

Cheers, Alf

I also have to agree about the festo gear.
The saw and guiderail system is certainly very good and makes
cutting up sheets nice and easy.
However I don't know how they can justify the prices they charge.
Perhaps in time It will become apparent.

Mike

Woodythepecker":uwrl4wnu said:
After all you and other members would not flinch at paying a couple of hundred for a Lie Nielsen. Yet with a £40 Stanley and a cabinet scraper i could get the same finish.

Woody

Some spend their money on the most expensive power tools and some on the most expensive hand tools - mine goes on hand tools as I think it is better spent there.
Mid range power tools do as good a job as festool and all the others once you put a decent blade in - at least that's been my experience.

We all make our choices and stick by them but it is folly to try and claim that festool is
a) good value for money or
b) priced reasonably

If one is prepared to pay premium prices for premium tools then so be it:)

Also DW, it's not just the finish, it's the enjoyment from using a good quality tool be it Festool or LN

Alf wrote:

Tsk, Festool, spend, spend, spend mentality see? Catching...

It might be the way i tell them. There is no spend, spend, spend mentality. Let me explain. Unlike some although I love my woodworking (and would do it anyway), this is a business, and like any other form of employment i am in it to earn money, and it is for this reason and this reason only that i buy the tools and machinery that suit me best. Whether it is a £1 screwdriver or a £3,000 table saw i will pay the price if i need it.
As you know i paid £1700 to have 3 phase fitted. Why? because i wanted to purchase 3 phase machinery, why? because i believe that 3 phase industrial machinery suits my way of working and will easily take being used 6 days a week.
I seem to remember that both you and Tony thought that this was a good idea.

As i have said if i need to buy a tool to complete a commission i will right it off in the cost of materials, so i have not paid a penny for the Festool saw.

Why Festool? because i can honestly say that in all the research i did before buying it i have not read one bad word about them. Add to this the fact that in the last 6 months both a Dewalt and a Bosch have broken down on me, and you will see why i want something that will last.

Tony wrote:

Some spend their money on the most expensive power tools and some on the most expensive hand tools - mine goes on hand tools as i think it is better spent threr.

Yes Tony i am sure in your case this is true, but in my case if i did everything with hand tools my family would soon go hungry and i would go bankrupt.
Don't get me wrong there is something very special about a piece of furniture made solely by hand, but i am afraid that in the cutthroat world of business its just not realistic.

Tony wrote:

Mid range power tools do as good a job as Festool and all the others once you put a decent blade in it- at least thats been my experiemce.

As you can see from above with circular saws i have found this to be the opposite. But in the case of routers both the Dewalt (625EK) and (Bosch GOF1300 and GOF900) have given me first class service.

Tony wrote:

We all make our choices and stick by them but it is folly to try and claim that Festool is
(a0 good value for money or
(b) priced reasonably

If one is prepared to pay premium prices for premium tools then so be it.
I never mentioned value for money nor priced reasonably. What i did say is i stand by my choice. In my view this tool is as good as others say it is, and surely if i am happy with a tool that is all that matters.

To those who say that Festool are over priced, remember i am getting paid for doing a job/hobby that we all love, and whether i pay £300 for a power tool or LN plane does it really matter. As long as it serves its purpose and gets the job done i am pleased with it.

If you want the best you usually have to pay for it. Power tools are what i use. That is not to say if i won the lottery i would not pay £1300 for Karl Hotley;s new mitre plane or £3000+ for one of his smoothing plane.

By the way Alf i did not pay £20 for a Festool clamp it was £15 for 2. While on the subject of clamps what about the price of Bessey? £20, £30. £40, a time yet there are many a member who is willing to buy these, why because they are one of the best on the market.

Regards

Woody

Back