Festool Domino repair - how much!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djellworth

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
A week ago our Festool Domino suddenly stopped working. Quite old (well out of warranty) and quite well used. It felt like the issue was electrical and a quick search of this site and others suggested that the power cable was a weak point. We borrowed another power cable and plugged it in hopefully - only to be disappointed - no luck. So, with a heavy heart, we contacted Festool and they arranged to for UPS to collect it the next day.

We had a small sweepstake as to how much this was going to cost us and whether with an old tool it was going to be worth fixing. I thought it would be maybe £200 to fix as I had read all sorts of scare stories of complete refurbishments with very hefty bills. Chris (Tribe) was more hopeful and positive - just under £100 he wagered

The next day I receiced a message via Festool's on line system that my quote for repair was ready. I was genuinely nervous as shelling out several hundred pounds when we haven't been able to run any courses for 6 months was a hit I could really do without. At the same time however I got a message saying that the tool had been sent back to us via courier. I thought - well, clearly it can't be repaired....

However it could. It had a "shut off brush" replaced. (We had never heard of such a part but whatever it is, a quick search tells me it can be bought on-line for £14.) And the bill - £40 including the part (£5.90!), labour and both collection and return by UPS courier 2 days later. Now - I know that Festool products are not cheap - to say the least. I know that some people have experienced very hefty repair bills. I know I was rather scared when we entrusted our tool to Festool.... But this is pretty damned good in my opinion. Often I will moan and share my thoughts when an experience is less than positive so it only seemed fair to spend a few minutes sharing this experience. So a thank you, I guess, to Festool from www.wharfedaleworkshop.co.uk (Plus - they did all of this and we havent paid anything yet.)

Sounds good to me. I didn't realise until I bought one that they'll also replace a stolen tool in warranty for £120 I think it was. Not bad going.

Their stuff does cost a lot, and it does sting for a moment. But I do have to say my experience with the domino and ts55 this far have been great.

Back