Festool Domino Dowels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've been looking at the Festool Domino system and I just don't understand why it oscillates. Surely, it could just be routed? What I see is a floating tenon, which Festool are calling a Domino dowel.

Can anyone please enlighten me, here is the link.

Cheers
Neil

Neil,

I don't really know but I suspect it has something to do with routing into end grain with a hand-held tool or the ability to cut variable width slots.

I can see that this tool will be a very versatile thing and a delight for working pros. Imagine being able to joint on site using loose tenons for example.

My guess is that because they want it to work like a biscuit jointer (i.e. held against the work and then plunged with no sideways movement) they had to use an oscillation - imagine how hard it would be to design a mechanism which plunges the bit to full depth and then moves it sideways, all driven by a simple plunging motion by the user. Its a pretty impressive piece of engineering IMO.

Neil

Hi Neil

Neil":10kd3cyo said:
My guess is that because they want it to work like a biscuit jointer (i.e. held against the work and then plunged with no sideways movement) they had to use an oscillation - imagine how hard it would be to design a mechanism which plunges the bit to full depth and then moves it sideways, all driven by a simple plunging motion by the user. Its a pretty impressive piece of engineering IMO.

Neil

Thank you for the explanation. It must have been too early in the morning as I hadn't picked up on the plunge and hold, even though I'd watched the video.

Thanks
Neil

Hi Chris

waterhead37":3q2bf07t said:
I can see that this tool will be a very versatile thing and a delight for working pros. Imagine being able to joint on site using loose tenons for example.

Thanks for your reply. It certainly looks to be a very impressive piece of kit, which should find a niche market.

Thanks
Neil

Back