Festool Domino DF 500 best prices (survey)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m no Festool fanboy, and I’m not desperate for a Domino so in no major rush, but I can see it being incredibly useful and time saving for certain applications. Just like most people I love a bargain, so to help justify the (not so small) purchase i’d like to quietly keep an eye out for the best prices around before taking the plunge for a DF 500 Domino.

With the above in mind i’m really interested in knowing how much you bought yours for, where from and what time of year (i.e. bank holiday deal etc). I’d like to know if you bought it on its own, or with a sustainer of dominos. The frugal side of me is just looking for the best value possible.

Also, I know I just missed the recent Black Friday deal for a Domino at FFX... it’s what got me wondering whether it actually was a real bargain, or whether there are better deals that have been had by other. (I’m a little distrusting of the US commercial holiday that’s been adopted by the UK retailers in recent years with many ‘so-called’ deals actually being cheaper at other times of the year).

Any input would be appreciated :)

Hi

I think I am in the same position as yourself, as I have already mentioned in another post I am not loyal to any brand and always buy the best quality tool for the job and todate Festool has always been in second place at best. This is one of my dilema's when looking at the domino, because there is no competitor you have no options and you either accept whats on offer or walk away. Unfortunately Festool knows they have the market for this tool and us by the balls, so I am not looking at buying a tool but buying the functionality that it delivers. So what it delivers is an easy, strong means of joining wood without the need to be a highly skilled woodworker and for me that is something hard to put a price on. Ok I can make equally strong joints using my Dowelmax but on larger jobs drilling so many holes becomes a bit tedious and then glueup is messy with all them dowels. At this point you think ok so can't beat them so join them and now do you buy a 500 or the 700 considering only £164 difference in price. There are strong arguments for both, but the 500 only plunges to 28mm so if you like to do bigger things then it may fall short unless of course you buy both. The 700 is heavier and more bulky but there is a person on these forums using one with a 4mm cutter in an adaptor, so if you can handle the larger machine then it is even more versatile and easy to justify. I am right on the edge at the moment deciding whether to just go for it, FFX has the 700 for £893 and the 8/10 dowel box for £112 which is cheaper than DM's offer.

Back