Quantcast

Festool CTL Mini Cleantec - is the M versio a better choice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all

Need to get a dust extractor, mainlyfor my track saw. Cut mdf and plywood mostly.

Looks like the festool range is hard to beat and the CTL Mini looks reasonably priced.

Should I be going for the M class version given that I cut MDF?

Will also be using it for routing.

Cheers

petermillard

Established Member
Reaction score
Prizen":2f6ftuv2 said:
Hey all

Need to get a dust extractor, mainlyfor my track saw. Cut mdf and plywood mostly.

Looks like the festool range is hard to beat and the CTL Mini looks reasonably priced.

Should I be going for the M class version given that I cut MDF?

Will also be using it for routing.

Cheers
I’d say the Midi is the better option - half as much bag capacity again, for not much more money - unless you’re very tight on space.

All Festool CT vacs aside from the CT SYS have essentially the same suction, they just vary in capacity. The only difference between the L and the M class Festool vacs is an audible alarm that sounds when the airflow drops due to eg a blocked hose / filter or full bag.

Unless you’re required to have an M-class vac to comply with eg site work regulations, an L Class will be perfectly acceptable.

HTH P

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers.i would've thought that the filters would be different between L and M classes?

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Midi and love it although it is the older model and only L class. As Peter says the only difference between M and L is the low flow alarm.

Not sure if they do Mini in M class?

petermillard

Established Member
Reaction score
Prizen":cjc6l4n8 said:
Cheers.i would've thought that the filters would be different between L and M classes?
No, they’re the identical part. I bought my first Midi when they were first launched - still
going strong.

Sideways

Established Member
Reaction score
Festool seem to do a good extractor but they're not cheap and not the only option.
Things to look for:
  • A strong motor that will run for hours at a time
    Good airflow design to reduce the noise level
    Variable power so you can dial it down for smaller tools / sanding / reduce the noise
    Power tool socket with extractor autostart so it shuts up between cuts
    Auto clean to keep the filters clean and suction up - especially with the fine dust

If the last 3 of these aren't important to you, buy a commercial vac made for hotels or hospitals and save yourself a lump of money.

The festool's aren't especially quiet - there are others just as good and commercial units that are much quieter.
They do have the best hoses in the business but I was surprised to see even the CTM Midi doesn't seem to come with auto filter clean.

Look at the Nilfisk Attix 33 or 44 M and the badged versions they make for Milwaukee and Mirka before you part with your cash.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
I hear the Karcher WD3 P Vacuums are excellent for the money. I know someone who's used one daily with power tools for 3 years now and rates it very highly, works well, fairly quiet, power-take-off for the power tools, holds more than the Midi, wet & dry function...

I think I'll be getting one soon as the little vacuum I've got sounds like a rocket taking off, you have to have ear defenders for the vacuum itself, not the tool! :lol:

Are the Nilfisk Aeros any good? They look good on paper for the money.

Jonathan S

Established Member
Reaction score
10 years ago I bought a Nilfisk for the shop....failed within a few weeks....the replacement didn't last much longer, they refused to replace the replacement, apparently I used it too hard.....
I then purchased a Protool, now Festool ct17....still going strong!!

Naturally I would never buy a Nilfisk again.

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk