Festool Carvex - Initial release model problems advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm considering buying a jigsaw, probably either Bosch or Festool Carvex.

When reading I heard the Carvex 400 had some problems with its initial release model, I think it was some kind of problem with loose parts. How would I make sure I avoid buying one of these early models? I guess the model number would be different right? Most have the model number 56140 then(0/1/2/3/4 ect)

If anyone knows it would be nice to hear.

Thank you.

Got a bosch and a Festool jigsaw and the festool wins hands down. Especially cutting deep timber. Also never had a problem with loose parts. Only ever use Festool blades aswell.

For god's sake don't get a bosch. We're currently using one on site and it's awful.

Personally I rate the makita one quite highly, I've not got any experience of the festool but I'd imagine it to be good although you are definately paying for that quality. :shock:

Yeah they certainly are a bit pricey. I do actually have an old cheap 300w model so I may as well see how I get on with that first, once I get a blade that isnt blunt in it.

I'll check out the Makitas.

I went from a Makita cordless 18v one to a Bosch 'Barrel Grip' jobbie, wish I hadn't as it's a nightmare to hold unless you have giant hands (which I don't), and the on button has come off as well. I don't even think it cuts that accurately, the blade angle drifts more than the Makita did. IMHO I'd steer clear if I were you.

Cheers _Dan

Thanks, it doesnt seem many like bosch so far.

I would consider a band saw, but I dont really have space for one of those so if im going to get a better jigsaw it would ideally be something good.

I've had a Bosch for 15yrs, and I can't fault it. It's cut 10s upon 10s of tons of pallets, small logs, reclaimed building timber and all manner of rubbish, and still cuts perfectly accurately (I just have to hammer the base plate flat once in a while).

Phil.

I've got about 4 Bosch jigsaws the last one I got was a freebie from Bosch its the barrel grip style and at first I thought it was good but now I don't like it don't think its as accurate as the old ones. I'm thinking of buying a festool ps 300, I wouldn't get the carvex heard so many bad things about them.

Metabo and Porter Cable are very good and not as expensive as Festool, i honestly think Festool command a scene tax similar to volkswagen vans which i could never work out :?

Saxwood":2t208wb0 said:
Metabo and Porter Cable are very good and not as expensive as Festool, i honestly think Festool command a scene tax similar to volkswagen vans which i could never work out :?

I've got a vw t5 and would never buy any other make, they are worth the extra and at the end of the day they have better resale than any other van.

Jeez, don't get me started on the T5's... :roll:

Another thing we're using out here that's a bit of a disapointment :lol:

tim burr":1zxfjamu said:
For god's sake don't get a bosch. We're currently using one on site and it's awful.

Personally I rate the makita one quite highly, I've not got any experience of the festool but I'd imagine it to be good although you are definately paying for that quality. :shock:

Which bosch is it you use there?

I'm looking at 140, apparently 150 is a bit longer cut but not as accurate. I straigt or square cut is nice but i'll most likely finish things off after with a router, or hand tool.

I've got a Bosch GTS 120BE and it's very accurate. Obviously, the blade wanders in 120mm deep rip cuts in hardwood, but anything 2" and less its great.

I have Bosch GST 135 BCE and it is superb. Highly recommended.
I've tried the Festools and although I'm generally a Festool fan, I prefer my Bosch jigsaw.
I don't like any of the barrel-grip ones that I have tried.

phil.p":ev8mn1bv said:
Don't forget that any power saw is only as good as the blade you're using.
My favourite are the Bosch T144DP (Precision for Wood), and the Festool Trion blades. The Bosch Progessor blades I've tried have been useless - I managed to get a straighter cut with a reciprocating saw!

Tetsuaiga":12qmcnmr said:
Which bosch is it you use there?

I'm looking at 140, apparently 150 is a bit longer cut but not as accurate. I straigt or square cut is nice but i'll most likely finish things off after with a router, or hand tool.

I don't know offhand but I'll let you know tomorrow

In the past I've had cheap Bosch and mid priced Hitachi saws and have been underwhelmed by their accuracy with the cut inevitably oblique when cutting a curve. After my Hitachi was stolen I looked around for a replacement and the Bosch 135 and Festool were the only ones that people actually praised. Cost decided that I went for the Bosch and so far it has worked well, but I don't expect too much from this type of tool. Certainly the extra blade support that the Bosch offers helps to keed the blade perpendicular and keep the cut straight.

Misterfish

Latest posts

Back