festool ANGLE GUIDE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houtslager

Established Member
Reaction score
so does anyone here have one and USE it. If there is what do you think of it, how stable is it does the guide move? how accurate is it ?
Is it VFM ?

HS pulling hair out for accurate sawn angles ! :?

I've got the previous model, but don't use it because it's carp. I wouldn't invest in the current model either, instead I have a digital angle measurer (mine is Winklefix but Bosch make a similar one) which I use for measuring the angle required and with the guide rail for setting the required angle

John

i have one and have to say it's one of the best bit of kit i use. I have been cutting plasterboard for a wall up the stairs and use this to tranfer angles to the plasterboard.

You do need to add a little bolt to hold it to the guide but this is easily done.
How much are you paying as you can get the SYS2 for around £88 + VAT so it may be worth is you need the extra items.

Andy

If you want it for cutting right angles then provided you make a small mod that locks it at 90 degrees then it's a great bit of kit.

Why not approach those members who have one and think it's pants...maybe they'll sell it to you at a bargain price :lol:

As George says, it's a good demo on that website

Roger

Maybe i'll try the bolt trick. FWIW - I really think that this should have indents at the main angles and esp at 90. Its also not great for when you aren't ripping the widest of panels ie nothing for it to bear against.

Cheers

Tim

tim":2ty48teu said:
Its also not great for when you aren't ripping the widest of panels ie nothing for it to bear against.
Cheers

Tim

Yup..I agree with you on that one but not really sure what one could do in that scenario. Measure accurately I guess and align the guide rail carefully.

I wish they made a smaller (than 800mm) guide rail as I find on site that I use the Festool for virtually everything. I use it for cutting most of my straight lines, even very short ones, and if I've got the two 1400mm fixed together then it's a real pain having to undo them. A nice little 700mm or 600mm guide rail would be just the job for quick short cuts.

To add a bit to what I said earlier, it is going to depend on what level of accuracy is required. I've found that when crosscutting a 600mm board, .1 of a degree is equivalent to 1mm. It would certainly be NFG for worktops, but might be just the job for many other jobs

John

George_N":2t0p1n3j said:
Is there an echo in here
Is there an echo in here

Yep, there it is. :wink: I know, it annoys me out of all proportion when I've suggested the same thing in a thread and it's apparently been ignored - dunno why. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

I’ve got one, and I’ve used it typically where I’ve needed to cut some ply to fit in house improvement work. In this sort of situation it works well. Find the angle by slapping it against the place where the cut piece should fit. A firm twist of the knob to fix the angle. This is accomplished without any tendency to change the angle. Then put then angle guide in the guide rail and gently push the angle guide against the work. However, from this point, do not use the angle guide as a fix for the guide rails. The guide rail should now be in the correct position so use the guide rail just as you would if you had placed it against a drawn line. This means you would either clamp the guide before cutting, or, if the cut is not too long and the guide is gripping the surface, then in the normal fashion you can use the guide rail trust that the rail will not move. I often find I can use the guide rail without clamping, but if the cut is a bit awkward then its all to easy to move it a tiddly bit even for ‘normal’ cuts if one has to move ones body to continue the cut and perhaps even un-plunging and re-plunging the saw for one cut. So for any cut where I’m not square to the rail and I cant put one paw on the guide rail then I find its best to clamp firmly first. And angled cuts fall usually fall into this category for me. But then I don’t do this for a living and skilled hands would be better at this I would think.

Back