• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Festool 576481 18V TID Impact Drill Bare Unit in Systainer £149 at FFX

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mention you have the Domino XL700; I love it. Never had any issues.
At the time I was trying to find another method to replace my Dowelmax and 10mm dowels, no problems with joint strength or anything except it could be very time consuming on assembly, I think on one job I used 96 dowels and so I started to look around. The Domino looked like a solution, albeit a very expensive one so when I came across one in an FFX sale I brought it along with a box of oblong dowels. Quality is not outstanding when compared to other tools but it does makes nice precise oblong holes, the problem is in locating them precisely and is why I refer to it being like a riffle with a bent barrel. When comparing the precision of the Dowelmax to the Domino in location of holes there is no comparison, the Dowelmax is way more precise so next I brought the Domino alignment jig from FC tools which is great for sheet material and gives the domino the precision it needs. But on larger size wood which I mostly use then it failed to meet expectations, the Dowelmax has always exceled at this task as can be shown in this image

1655455837017.png

So now I am thinking of that Jessem dowel jig, maybe that will deliver faster results but I still play with the Domino hoping one day I can use it and get the results I want.

At the time I was trying to find another method to replace my Dowelmax and 10mm dowels, no problems with joint strength or anything except it could be very time consuming on assembly, I think on one job I used 96 dowels and so I started to look around. The Domino looked like a solution, albeit a very expensive one so when I came across one in an FFX sale I brought it along with a box of oblong dowels. Quality is not outstanding when compared to other tools but it does makes nice precise oblong holes, the problem is in locating them precisely and is why I refer to it being like a riffle with a bent barrel. When comparing the precision of the Dowelmax to the Domino in location of holes there is no comparison, the Dowelmax is way more precise so next I brought the Domino alignment jig from FC tools which is great for sheet material and gives the domino the precision it needs. But on larger size wood which I mostly use then it failed to meet expectations, the Dowelmax has always exceled at this task as can be shown in this image

Interesting. I've found the Domino OK in terms of accuracy. Though if you have a long run then it certainly pays to cut some of the slots in the middle of a run with the wider hole setting.

View attachment 137854

So now I am thinking of that Jessem dowel jig, maybe that will deliver faster results but I still play with the Domino hoping one day I can use it and get the results I want.
I think you are using the domino all wrong - there are plenty of YT videos to help with that. (Peter Millard, Manor Wood, New Brit Workshop).

Sounds like the alignment marker maybe needs calibrating? I've knocked out plenty of things with several mortices along 2m lengths on the narrow setting just working from opposing pencil marks with no bother at all. This is assuming your project was suitable for the big Domino as it will struggle with smaller pieces you can't get good registration on.

Paul Marcel talks it through in depth on youtube

Or here's a screengrab with the absolute basics from the supplementary manual:

1655463232004.png

I think you are using the domino all wrong - there are plenty of YT videos to help with that. (Peter Millard, Manor Wood, New Brit Workshop).
I will agree something is wrong but I have watched a lot of videos for both the 500 & 700 and yet I still cannot get a frame jointed so all required faces align which is something the dowelmax does so easily. I know it is alignment and have gone through the procedure as detailed by Nelsun which shows the 700 is fine, it also works fine using the DAJ on sheet goods so it must be something I am either doing or not doing. I will have to set a day aside and have another play and make logical notes and maybe I will get to where I want to be, I will add that my old Dewalt biscuit jointer gives no problems so I suspect it could be technique.

Thanks for the FFX link, though i didnt buy the impact drill.
I noticed on their website they had a TS55FEBQ fan edition(free pen and tape measure) priced at £419.

So I bought that instead.
However. I used their Ebay site which was more expensive at £429, but they have a 15% off code with it, bringing the price down to a very acceptable £364.93.

And as I've just sold some bike bits on a bike forum I'd sitting in a box for a few years, I've only really paid £280 of my own money.

So a big thanks to the OP, and to anyone else, looking to buy a plunge saw, the festool one in FFX ebay is a good deal, the new systainer box and a couple of other free bits inc.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/39399946...Qnhd0z6bbAKsE7/6Ak8Lr5p4ddYJ|tkp:BFBM1tapl65g
It is probably a better deal to buy with the track too, only cant afford that outlay just yet and i'll pick it up some point in the future. The track version should be about £425 inc the 15% off

Last edited:
Pretty good deals across the range of TiD 18C plus sets too if you need the batteries - I have a few big 18V batteries but a smaller one would be useful for the TiD.

https://ffx.co.uk/product/get/Festool-576483-4014549360736-18V-2X3.1Ah-Tid-Plus-Impact-Drill#FPD
https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Festool-Bp18-Li-3.1-C-4014549270264-18V-Battery-Pack

BEWARE of these links - they automatically load a shopping basket with ALL associated items!! BUT you do get an "ALERT" pop-u

They are a marketing gimmick, they use similar marketing tactics as do Apple, you are not buying a product but a brand and join the fan club who blindly follow. The only Festool product I have is a Domino XL700, purchased only because there is no competition but it has been a disaster, I compare it to a riffle with a bent barrel! I have gone back to using my Dowelmax because it delivers a solution that may be slower but is way more precise and also looking at JessEm Dowelling Jig with 6, 8, 10 and 12mm Heads Package because if I can get a faster process whilst retaining the precision and with the bonus of more dowel sizes then the Domino would be obsolete.
I bought a small Makita router to replace my mof96. The makita was tacky and imprecise, I replaced it a festool which is far better build and the dust extraction is far superior. I think it a bit simplistic to just look at way festool is marketed and say it is just a fan club. I'm also an iphone person, but wouldn't neccesarily buy an Apple computer.

I bought a small Makita router to replace my mof96. The makita was tacky and imprecise,
Exactly, no one manufacturer can be good at everything and although Makita cordless drills and their tracksaws are good the same is not true for the router and is why I brought the Bosch GKF 600. I also prefer the Bosch mitre saws when compared to Makita, although the Makita LS1219L has the advantage of the forward pointing slides which requires less room behind the saw, I think it is let down by those wire work supports wheras Bosch use flat toped aluminium extrusions.

My 3.1Ah battery turned up and it is fantastic, totally transforms my T18 (which was already great anyway) I'd been using the bigger 5.2Ah until now and the smaller battery really helps the balance.

I looked at getting another battery but they have gone back up to £75 from £45, although you can still get 2 for £87.39 which is what I should have done in the first place :rolleyes:

I have one of the Festool PDC drills which I've never really got on with (big and clunky) but will try it with the smaller batteries tomorrow, if they transform that I will order a 2 pack of batteries while they still have them 👍

Back