FERM FZB-720 saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have the opportunity to purchase a secondhand Ferm FZB-720 saw for £25. Is that a good buy ?

Hi - welcome to the forum.

I can't find the specific model you're referring to but there are a number of Ferm tablesaws available from Screwfix. Most of the Ferm models look quite lightweight to me and I don't think they would take much use/abuse before inaccuracies crept in.

You tend to get what you pay for when it comes to tablesaws, so don't expect high performance from a second hand machine for £25. Make sure it has all the safety features you'll need, such as a blade guard, riving knife and fence.

Perhaps you could take a piece of board along when you examine the saw and see how it cuts?

Gill

Hi w860098

Welcome to the forum.

My personal experience with Ferm kit, albeit not one of their tablesaws, is that they are very poor.

Cheers
Neil

a secondhand Ferm FZB-720 saw for £25. Is that a good buy ?

Probably OK for that money. As long as you don't expect too much of it, you won't be disappointed.

Ike

Well, I personally think their biscuit jointer isn't bad at all.

Table saws, however, are another thing...

But I reckon that with a bit of patience and your own work, you can get it to do a good enough job for what you want. I'm currently trying to make adjustments to my FOX saw, with the mitre gauge, rip fence etc.

Oswaldo!":3ba53li3 said:
Well, I personally think their biscuit jointer isn't bad at all.

Table saws, however, are another thing...

But I reckon that with a bit of patience and your own work, you can get it to do a good enough job for what you want. I'm currently trying to make adjustments to my FOX saw, with the mitre gauge, rip fence etc.

My Ferm router is fine for small jobs, once I learned how to use it a bit.

However, I had a Ferm TS and tbph I was a little scared of it, mainly because I was a newbie, but also because it just felt wrong. My Triton gave me bucket loads of confidence and i'd imagine a well made purpose built TS would feel a whole lot better than that.

Having said that.. if £25 is not a lot of money to you, then try it... you might like it.

Hi there W860098,
First off. Welcome to probably the best forum on the net, ev'ryone is very friendly and helpful with there advice. And there are some very knowledgeable folk on here who can no doubt give you a first hand account of the saw that you are after.
But I have to go along with Wizer, and tell you that I used to own the Triton 2000 and before that the Triton MK3. And IMHO they are without doubt the finest that you can buy, for the D-I-Yer, especially if you are just starting out. To pick up on Gill's posting they are very safe to use (providing you do the checks as with any saw) because one of the main things as I see it, is it gives you a lot of 'lead on' before the blade, that in itself helps greatly in feeding the timber into the saw. If you are only cutting small stuff that is not a great deal, but if you want to start cutting sheets of any size it can be. Especially if you are not that experienced. And. Not wishing to be rude. As Gill points out. Safety has to be paramount when working with machinery. You have only got one set of fingers. I'm sorry I can't advise you more on the Ferm, but I will say this, as already mentioned you do not get a lot for £25 as has already been said YOU GENERALLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Personally I would wait and get something a bit better. I do hope that this helps in some small way.
Whatever you decide. Have a safe and happy Christmas.
Regards.
Trev.

Latest posts

Back