Ferm 12" Contractors Table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Due to lack of funds/space I've just got one of these from screwfix.

Took a while to put together but is pretty solid and stable.

Its quite basic with a poor rip fence( unable to tighten it sufficiently to stop it moving) but in its favour has a 2kw induction motor with 90mm of cut @90deg

On start up it howls like a stuck pig till up to speed then fortunately quietens down acceptably.

With a better fence arrangement it will definitely be a good addition and @ £139.99 economical too. Will probably need a decent blade.

Now, what to do about the fence. I've seen a remedy here @ the screwfix forum

"With regard to the problem of the loose Rip fence - here's how I tackled the problem :-

PHOTO

2 bits of Hardwood, bit of Plywood, M8 set screw, a couple of penny washers, and a hour or two's work !

When you want to adjust the fence just loosen the wing nut, when set, tighten the wing nut and that's it. The Rip fence is as solid as a rock.

Was cutting some very old Oak today for a framing job, and found the new fence so accurate that I didn't even need to put the resulting strips through the thicknesser afterwards.

Also made a new insert from Ply as bits kept falling down the huge gaps either side of the blade on the one supplied.

Happy woodworking !

Morph "

Now this looks a great idea, however my bench has to stand fairly hard up to a right-hand wall so its not an option as the adjusting piece would soon hit the wall :(

All I can think of is a surface clamp like I had used before when I had a circular saw suspended under a ply table.

Has anyone any ideas how I can improve my fence or indeed use some other method or home made fence etc.

cheers

billzee

Since nobody seemed to have any ideas I have come up with my own answer.

Hope this may help others who get this saw as its a useful bit of kit for the money.

I was not able to make the improvement highlighted on the screwfix forum so I removed the original fence and sliding rail and replaced this with two strips of 18mm ply front and back of the table( screwed and bolted) located on the top edge just below the table level. This has allowed me to fix a steel rule on the ply edge @ the back ( There is already an adhesive one on the front of the table) so I can line up the clamp.

For the fence I use an Axmister surface clamp increased in height by the addition of a further two strips of ply glued together and then screwed on top of the clamp.

The ply on front and back of the table ensures a good grip for the clamp and the addition of the double ply strip to the clamp gives added height.

I have'nt got a sliding carriage but hey, no room anyway.

After I replace the throat plate with a homemade ply one this will be a very solid bit of kit for next to nothing in saw price terms

Edit: Oops, Apologies, that should have read 18mm ply :oops: ( now corrected)

I think I can visualise it Bilzee. Well done. Sounds like a good solution.
I was just worried about making sure the fence is parallel to the blade each time you adjust it, especially if you are making small "nudge" adjustments to get the cut just right. But with a carefully aligned rule on the rear ply, you should be safe if you take the time to align it back and front every time.

I was just worried about making sure the fence is parallel to the blade each time you adjust it

Hi Aragorn, yup, this was always gonna be the problem and always will be the finnicky part.

But, with the rule @ the back it means I can line up the cut accurately and after a few test cuts I'm very pleased with the accuracy. What I will need to do though is seal the ply so there isn't any movement with humidity changes though since I now have a dehumidifier running those probs may be a thing of the past :). Obviously it will never be a complete substitute for a class saw but will bring me a bit closer to the accuracy that I need.

Hi Neil

I will get around to a couple of pics when I have made the throat plate.

tablefencemod.jpg

As requested:

The small slither of softwood between the ply piece and the table edge squares up the edge of the table giving the clamp a much better grip, excluding the need of any further clamping. The fence/clamp is in the background with the extra bits of ply which are sealed and waxed. I drilled the table legs and bolted the ply piece on. The other end of the table ( out of shot) has a similar piece of ply but smaller because of the switch location.

Happy face courtesy of mrs billzee.

Though a fairly crude modification I have found it works brilliant.

After several uses the lining up of the fence with back and front rules is becoming easier each time I use it.

It has turned a cheap bit of equipment into a useful bit of kit :)

Hi Bilzee
Thanks a lot for that. Its a lot better arangement than I'm using at the moment. I will be doing the same or something very similar if you don't mind having a clone.
Well done a very good solution :D

John

You've done really well and saved a lot of money in the process.
Thanks Neil.

John, the mod seems to work well.

I'd be delighted if you could make some use of it :)

I've also constructed a double runner sled, the runners locating along the edges of the table. Using that liberon wax( mentioned elsewhere on the forum) it runs along the table a treat.
Although it reduces the depth of cut its not much of a problem with this saw as the starting depth is so generous anyway ( 90mm)

cheers

Billzee

I noticed the PPP router table in the pic, **FANFARE**

three cheers for B&Q ( I got one as well) :D

good bit of kit for the money (IMO)

I noticed the PPP router table in the pic,

Steven, it was one of those buys that wasn't planned. Went out for something else ( which I didn't get, I find B&Q disappointing normally) and bought the table.

TBF I was initially not that struck but having done several jobs on it now am beginning to see its merits :)

I gotta say though that since I got the record 2kw extraction unit using the table has become a pleasure

My B&Q router table makes three............ now works fine after i belt sanded the moving part of the fence because it didn't line up with the other........... :D

Its fine now, use it with their 1250watt router which also seems fine.

Aidan.

Back