Fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sed9888

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning from a dark and dank Northamptonshire, i am looking for ideas in making a router table fence , nothing to complicated, and while on this subject does anyone know where i can get a router table insert for my Makita router
any help guys would be very much appreciated

Ive done a couple of these now, will post some pics.

RE the insert plate, I have bought 2 of these from eBay for my Triton routers - I know you have to drill them, but I find them really good and strong.

Basic shape dry put together

IMG_3736.jpeg

Front panel slot cut to allow fixing of movable fence at the front

IMG_3743.jpeg

Glued up (blocks to keep is square while gluing)

IMG_3744.jpeg

Cover made to form a dust extraction port

IMG_3747.jpeg

Pair of panels cut to form the front fences, with threaded inserts added
IMG_3748.jpeg

IMG_3750.jpeg

Finished main section (nothing to stop you stopping at this point if you dont want the movable fences) (pic also of the router insert I linked too) - note also the hole to add a vacuum for dust extraction

IMG_3767.jpeg

Complete unit with fences attached - these can be moved to suit the size of the bit your using
IMG_3765.jpeg

Adjustment knobs on the back that screw into those threaded inserts I added earlier too lock the front fences in place
IMG_3764.jpeg

here is the first one I made - this was to suit a 1220mm long top I use for bigger routing jobs.

Again, if you dont want adjustable fences, nothing stopping you just making the basic 'L' shape, and putting some braces in to keep it square and leave it like that

Or, make the fence like the below keeping the semi circle for the bit, scrap the slots, and then just screw a 'sacrificial' piece of wood to this fence which you can use and abuse, and then just throw the sacrificial bit away, screw another one on, and off you go again...

IMG_2776.jpeg

IMG_2777.jpeg

IMG_2782.jpeg

IMG_2783.jpeg

IMG_2785.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2775.jpeg
    IMG_2775.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 3
never mind the fence Rorton. that's a rather unusual modification to your tressles.

Really?

I have a pair of similar Stanley trestles (plastic) and they have a couple of slots to accommodate 2" timber - mine, like the pic, has a couple of rails that slot in and then an OSB top (with a framed edge for stability) - makes an excellent extra or portable bench.

oh, ok Rob, thanks for the information. I assumed it was a modification. I stand corrected and in the silly corner. :)
I haven't looked at tressles since I bought mine 15 years ago, they are still bomb prove and going strong, they didn't have slots in them so I usually just chuck a couple of lengths of 2x3 on top when I need a saw bench outside.

my router is not mounted in a table, but when I was considering knocking up a simple setup (still might) I saw a few ideas where the fence was only mounted at a single point, on which it pivoted, the other side of the fence was clamped wherever needed, so in adjusting the angle you adjusted the spacing between the fence and the router bit. The fence doesn't need to be square as it would with a table saw, it just needs to be a locked distance from the bit. Depending on your budget and use, it might be an option to look at, I expect I found it on either youtube or instructables.

oh, ok Rob, thanks for the information. I assumed it was a modification. I stand corrected and in the silly corner. :)
I haven't looked at tressles since I bought mine 15 years ago, they are still bomb prove and going strong, they didn't have slots in them so I usually just chuck a couple of lengths of 2x3 on top when I need a saw bench outside.
Yeah, as mentioned, slots in them, use 4x2 with a notch in each end to make them flush with the top of the trestle. I then have a worktop I can secure to it, or a top for the router insert

Ive done a couple of these now, will post some pics.

RE the insert plate, I have bought 2 of these from eBay for my Triton routers - I know you have to drill them, but I find them really good and strong.

Basic shape dry put together

View attachment 94669

Front panel slot cut to allow fixing of movable fence at the front

View attachment 94670

Glued up (blocks to keep is square while gluing)

View attachment 94671

Cover made to form a dust extraction port

View attachment 94672

Pair of panels cut to form the front fences, with threaded inserts added
View attachment 94673
View attachment 94674

Finished main section (nothing to stop you stopping at this point if you dont want the movable fences) (pic also of the router insert I linked too) - note also the hole to add a vacuum for dust extraction

View attachment 94675
Complete unit with fences attached - these can be moved to suit the size of the bit your using
View attachment 94676

Adjustment knobs on the back that screw into those threaded inserts I added earlier too lock the front fences in place
View attachment 94677
T
Yeah, as mentioned, slots in them, use 4x2 with a notch in each end to make them flush with the top of the trestle. I then have a worktop I can secure to it, or a top for the router insert
Thank you so much for finding the time to help me much appreciated

Back