Fence upgrade to ‘cheap’ Screwfix Titan thicknessor/planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lard

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these a few years ago because of the price, the limited space I have and the need for occasional use only.
As anyone else who has one will testify that the fence is not good (potential understatement there) but, hey, you get what you pay for!

Anyway, just came across this YT vid for a fence upgrade that, apart from the obvious benefits, allows you to now make use of the full width of the knives.

I’m not sure about his use of melamine but, fair play to him, he’s thought about it well and made it work. It’s well worth a watch if only for the principle.

That std attachment looks so flimsy, it must have a lot of flex in it being such thin metal. That upgrade may be done in melamine but it must be a lot more rigid than the original. I think once upon a time there was a lot more home made fences for various machinery around but we now seem to just want to buy more fancy off the shelf stuff.

It may be a little rough around the edges and not pretty to look at at(bit like me really :LOL:) ,but it works and any improvement over the original bit of tin plate has to be a classed as a Win (y). He really was tickled pink when it worked first time , the look of delight on his face was nice to see :)

I've got ascrap of MDO so might use that come to think of it!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers James

Let the chips fall and sweep them up afterwards. It's what masks are for.

20170731_132602-1.jpg

Back