Fence painting / Varnishing advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it’s the old paintbrush for me too, gaps in the fence will allow the overspray to give your neighbors an unwanted make over , the wind - even a light breeze will carry it everywhere. unless it’s smooth timber varnish will cost a fortune . A good quality outdoor fence paint is perfect. The brush gives you far more control when applying it. Fence life from Toolstation etc do one which they claim lasts 5 years.

Two people we know used sprayer's and one had to pay to have their neighbours car a T cut and waxed; the other had to buy their neighbour some new garden furniture.

It must work but I think you would probably need a wind free day and check what is near the fence.

Cheers, chaps! You just saved me £55 and potentially a lot more in damage remuneration and embarrassment!

2 comments:

I’ve always used one of the wood preservatives that soaks in, rather than the water-based paint types. Something like Barrettine Wood Preserver | Wood Finishes Direct

I think the paint type ones (Fencelife etc) age terribly.

A cheap insecticide sprayer is by far the easiest way of applying this stuff. £10 from Screwfix/Amazon etc. 5L at a time, so not refilling every 5 minutes, and less overspray than with the electric paint sprayer.

CONVERT. oil based cuprinol was the only product for me on my outbuildings. NOW I use the water based ducks back. Brush on, the first coat is tough going, both sides of 16 standard 1.8 panels, but the second and third coats, as per instructions, a breeze. Great protection, water runs off, and long lasting.

Back