fence paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a new fence to put up, and it makes sense to paint the panels before putting them up.

any recommendations for a paint/treatment? ideally something that is a single coat.

colour will be light brown or light grey. nothing exotic, but some flexibility.

Last edited:
The bedec is very expensive but from the reviews on here I think I am going to give it a try. I will need 20 quids worth of the cheapest stuff or 60 of bedec. It says that it should last 3-5 years and on material cost alone, it f I get 3 years I am cost neutral.

Worst case I am £40 out of pocket. I am prepared to gamble that!

If Mike is happy enough to specify it on barns, with his professional reputation on the line, I will trust it for a fence.

Last edited:
Are the panels pre-treated/tannalised? If so Barrettine Wood Protective Treatment might be a good bet? It comes in several shades and is highly rated by our customers (we are paint manufacturers). We also make a barn paint (solvent based, unlike the Bedec) if you'd like to check it out... but don't want to be shamelessly plugging here!

Are the panels pre-treated/tannalised? If so Barrettine Wood Protective Treatment might be a good bet? It comes in several shades and is highly rated by our customers (we are paint manufacturers). We also make a barn paint (solvent based, unlike the Bedec) if you'd like to check it out... but don't want to be shamelessly plugging here!
Good stuff, do you have any discount codes to make it cheaper to buy direct?
Cheers Andy

If you are a first time buyer there is pop up which gives you a discount for subscribing to the newsletter 15%. Any problems...our online chat are very helpful too

Thanks. I ordered the bedec late last night but I will bear this in mind for the front fence when it needs doing next year.

What is the minimum temp for using your barn paint?

Hi

I would recommend Valspar garden colours, really good outdoor paint in any colour you want and it last, but put it on with a brush and not a dusting from a sprayer and I don't use Valspar for anything else.

The bedec is very expensive but from the reviews on here I think I am going to give it a try. I will need 20 quids worth of the cheapest stuff or 60 of bedec. It says that it should last 3-5 years and on material cost alone, it f I get 3 years I am cost neutral.

Worst case I am £40 out of pocket. I am prepared to gamble that!

If Mike is happy enough to specify it on barns, with his professional reputation on the line, I will trust it for a fence.
Your maths only works if the cheap stuff needs repainting annually. ;)

Hi

My arbour was painted three years ago in Valspar and it is still fine, my big shed in Cuprinol four years ago and that will need a coat next summer.

Your maths only works if the cheap stuff needs repainting annually. ;)

True, but the last cheap stuff I used did. Whatever was on offer at homebase at the time.

We will see, the paint is ordered!

I've been using Cuprinol Garden Shades for a black fence (made from treated tile batten/laths nailed to a frame) - needs 2 coats but excellent coverage and I'm expecting long life from it .... and it's usually about £6 per 2.5ltr can at a B&M "pound shop" than it is at a B&Q shed.

I painted a new fence black with Bedec barn paint and have been very happy with the result.
As the panels were already treated and I only wanted a colour change I thined the paint down with 30% water and after 4 years I have had no problems.
Bear in mind that if you are going to paint only 1 side of the fence if you try to do that with panels flat the other side of the fence will look a mess best to do them upright.

I painted a new fence black with Bedec barn paint and have been very happy with the result.
As the panels were already treated and I only wanted a colour change I thined the paint down with 30% water and after 4 years I have had no problems.
Bear in mind that if you are going to paint only 1 side of the fence if you try to do that with panels flat the other side of the fence will look a mess best to do them upright.
we are doing both, but that is a useful tip.

any idea on the coverage you got, one previous post on here said that their 13-15m2 per litre was optimistic.

Just for interest sake really, I got 7 years from ducksback on a brand new garden tool shed. (cuprinol)
Quick sand with the ROS this summer, worth it just to watch the Mrs use the ROS lmao, (it's really heavy!!!!) etc etc *swear filter* ) and another 7 years expected. I replaced the felt.
For an out building you might have different expectations to a fence on longevity. I suppose it's a balance of a variety of things as always. New fence v's old etc. etc.
EG. I'd like to do the three blind sides of my workshop/shed (its boxed in at the end of the garden) in bedec and be done with it. The Mrs won't 'let' me paint the front black lol. That's fair enough. It's her garden too and compromise is a healthy talent to foster in any relationship. (Or choosing your battles ... depends how you want to phrase it. 😬 ) In the end I just let her paint the front light blue, I sorted the guttering and cut back next doors errant Elder after she wheezed at the cost of Bedec. I'll just buy some next spring and do the 3 hidden sides in black when she has forgotten the price.

:censored:;)

we are doing both, but that is a useful tip.

any idea on the coverage you got, one previous post on here said that their 13-15m2 per litre was optimistic.

In truth I don't know the fence was just part of a much larger project. I clad the side of an old industrial building and painted that using 1 thin coat followed by 1 coat straight of the can and I did use a lot of paint. Having done that the new fence finished in fence brown with concrete posts looked awful so I just took the plunge and painted it.
It was a pain to paint to make sure that it didn't run through to the neighbours side so having done the first thinned coat I left it at that and I think that I used about 5l thined down to do 1 side of 11 panels and the posts. The result looks fine even 4 years on.

Attachments

• PXL_20201021_161547085.jpg
    PXL_20201021_161547085.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back