Fence (garden) design considerations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to build a fence across the front garden (replacing a beech hedge we've just removed)
And I was wondering about design considerations of the fence.

We have a nice design from Greene and Greene house in California, sort of chunky arts n crafts.
See here for an example of their stunning work
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/158685187X/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-3558547-5609462#reader-link
I will probably make it from 11cm square bankiri or other such horrible (but rot proof) wood for the posts. These will be cemented into the ground. So I was wondering if the posts are fixed, how best to attach the rails, as you cannot make them like mortice and tenons, as the posts are fixed and hence there is no room to manover the tenons??

Also what is the best joints to use so to avoid water traps etc.
I see Taunton have a book on fences but I'm a bit unwilling to order it blind, albeit the blurb seems to suggest it covers construction techniques in details.

Any advice would as per usaul be very garetfully received

If the posts are to be fixed,then half-lap joints may be best (possibly secured with dowels/pegs in contrasting timber ?)
And you could always slope the bottom edge of the laps,if you are concerned about water.

Andrew

Andy,

I've seen a fence that has posts concreted in with the rails tenoned into the posts. After much pondering I concludd that the rails had been installed at the same time as the posts (the rails were simply holding up fence panels). So it can be done, although it sounds like hard work to me.

Cheers,
Dod

Back