Fence covering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks quite smart to me

you can get brackets that clamp to concrete posts (they’re naff, but they work). With permission you could attach wires and grow climbers.

Aidan

Looks OK to me, will weather and fade a bit. Breaking it up visually would be nicer but no need to hide completely even if you could.

Depending on what suits the rest of your garden, you could have a zone of pots, and/or some round posts alongside but your side of each concrete post with 2 ropes hung along at say 3. 5ft and 5.5 ft with old English roses growing along them, maybe away from the house a vigorous loganberry or similar, and/or a few obelisks in the border, purchased or home made, with sweet peas, morning glory or similar so the obelisks are a visual break even in winter, or....

Maybe wait till spring and watch where the shadows are before planting too much.

It's surprisingly easy to trick the eye into looking elsewhere, something good at the far end and you stop looking at the middle.

With all these references to garden law, I'm feeling pretty lucky. I have fences on 2 sides, one 19 panel very rotten and scruffy so needed doing. Talked with Pete next door... How about I shorten the beech hedge at the far end... and we get those old laurels out... and that bamboo that neither of us planted but spreads both sides... Etc... OK what sort of fence then... Split cost... Fine. Let's get quotes. All done now and not a lawyer in sight. Similar experience 3 years back with a shorter section and another neighbour but then it was DIY, only 7 panels. With that one we did shorter panels with trellis which let's him see the village green from his kitchen, the old 6 ft one blocked the view.

Well law or not it has something to do with planning; ie. Deciding which of the fences were yours for maintenance purposes. So regulations had to be involved somehow.
John

Doug I'm being serious about a grafiti artist, a big cock and balls on that fence would be a cracking talking point and bound to attact discussion with the neighbous. Something like this
b35e1456527ec41edbd6be55cc73d3b8--penis-glory-hole.jpg

You could even say it is a W--ksy

I put up a similar concrete post and gravel board fence and found the concrete a bit glaring. I bought the cheapest green fence paint and just painted the concrete. Pleased with the results and surprised how long it lasted.
You need a thin piece of hardboard for a mask so you don’t paint the wood.
I think the wood will mellow quite quickly.

I
Deciding which of the fences were yours for maintenance purposes. So regulations had to be involved somehow.
John
John, our new place came with 50% ownership/maintainence costs written into our house deeds. The P.O. obviously had forethought about boundary issues!
Sam

John, our new place came with 50% ownership/maintainence costs written into our house deeds. The P.O. obviously had forethought about boundary issues!
Sam
It's a complicated issue, you may well find that it's written into the deeds as a positive covenant, in which case unless you and your neighbour are the original parties to the covenant neither of you can enforce it and you have no obligation to maintain the fence or to pay anything towards it.
If you look at the gardenlaw.co.uk forum Fences section, the first sticky has a lot of explanation about positive covenants and why most people are under no obligation to maintain their fences.

you may well find that it's written into the deeds as a positive covenant, in which case unless you and your neighbour are the original parties to the covenant neither of you can enforce it and you have no obligation to maintain the fence or to pay anything towards it.
:unsure:....

on a more serious note he has the fence back to front. It's acknowledged fact that the fence owner puts the good side on the outside and can sometimes show who has ownership.

on a more serious note he has the fence back to front. It's acknowledged fact that the fence owner puts the good side on the outside and can sometimes show who has ownership.

I don't know what silly person decided that the neighbour should look at the good side of the fence if you are paying for it. Certainly wouldn't happen in my garden.

It would be interesting to see a photo of the old fence. I would prefer the new fence to a 3ft high see through picket fence but I like some privacy in my garden.
We put up a similar fence in our garden and the wife hated it in the end I painted it black including the posts and it has transformed it into an amazing back drop to our garden.

We have no issue with our neighbour's fence - but it looked terrible - I made a "covering" for the fence with horizontal laths (roof batten timber stained/painted black) about 1.5cm apart - the photograph is work-in-progess - it's now complete, with a gate beside the garage made from vertical laths.

Vertical battens at rougly 50cm intervals fixed to the exisiting fence and pre-painted (Cuprinol Garden Shades, 2 coats) laths fixed with staples from a nail gun, and a weather-sloped capping. I left the original fence as it was so there's some contrast between the laths. The drop panel at the end is to improve visibility when taking the car out onto the road.

DSC01049.JPG
The second picture is the inspiration at a house I happened to cycle past - it's pre-made panels ... very expensive!
IMG_20200607_094509202.jpg

The ”having the good side facing out” stems from a fence being used to mark the boundary of the property which would traditionally have been post and rail construction. The posts would therefore be a few inches in from the boundary with the face of the rail on the boundary.

@Doug B - a couple of suggestions of plants that may be suitable given the direction the fence is facing - Honeysuckle or Virginia Creeper. Virginia Creeper is part of the Parthenocissus family. They are pretty stunning in Autumn. It would be worth asking At a nursery or good garden centre for a bit of advice on which to go for as some are quite vigorous.

I’m with you - it looks awful!

Cheers

Well law or not it has something to do with planning; ie. Deciding which of the fences were yours for maintenance purposes. So regulations had to be involved somehow.
John
I have the same 'recollection' - it was certainly the case that the 'person responsible' for maintenance of a feather-boarded Fence on Arris Rail was the owner of the property where the posts were.

The problem only arose when it became normal to fit 'Panels' between posts rather than on one side - and became further exacerbated with the advent of that abomination - 'H' section concrete posts.

The ultimate arbiter would be the deeds of the property of course.

Red Robin planted two years ago @ 450mm high, beautiful red leaves in season.
Recents - 1 of 1.jpeg

Not specifically what you asked, but painting it a dark green would make it less offensive if your neighbours are ok with this. Then perhaps some honey suckle and clemetis.

Back