Felder woodworking machine/s.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Czar

Reaction score
As per title, I am considering purchasing a Felder CF 741 S professional combination woodworking machine, as opposed to the stand alone separate machines, space is not an issue, having had a lengthy meeting this morning with the Felder area representative, given that I am not a joiner/carpenter or cabinet maker, just a woodworking hobbyist, with only hand tools, I've never owned any powered tools for woodworkîng before, the combination machine seems the best option.

My thinking is, if I'm going to purchase woodworking machinery to bring me into the 21st century, then I'd like to purchase quality, has anyone operated or purchased a Felder CF 741 S professional woodworking machine, if so any comments would be very much appreciated, thank you.

if space is not an issue, and you have the budget to be looking at a felder combi, I would have a serious look at separate machines. I would at least consider the alternative of a saw/spindle combo and a planer thicknesser. It changes having to lose settings and change things over to use other functions.

That said, if a combi is for you, the felder will be better than most. I have looked longingly at the specs myself, not that I have the space, nor the money.

Hello,

+1 what Marcos said. In fact combination machines can be a bit hungry for space! I know conventional wisdom says they are space savers, and in fact this is true in regard to the machines footprint, compared to separate machines. But in use, they are multi sided, so can actually require a bigger area all round. Coupled with the change over from one function to another, the 'blow I needed that fence left set, now I have to re-set it' and, 'never notced the defect in that rail, I'll have to rip plane and thickness one replacement' palaver. I'd get separates every time. I even have separate planer thicknesser machines, because taking off the fence, lifting the table, winding down the platen and flipping the dust hood for the odd bit of wood, then back again,does my head in. My shed is too small for them, but I still wouldn't part with the to save my sanity.

You can't go wrong with Felder, though, but seriously consider getting a saw/spindle and planer/thicknesser as two separate at least.

Mike.

I have a CF741 pro combi. Felder recommended to me that it needed a 5x5m space to sit in. it got a 5x4m space and has been fine.

Consider a 2.4m plank through the saw or planer you will need 2.4m + a little bit both fore and aft.

My CF 741 is now 11 years old and has been a remarkable bit of kit. I bought the handwheels with a metric measure in them, they were cheap then at £35 each for planer, saw and spindle moulder and these have been excellent whenever I need to go back to a prior measurement. Often spot on and occasionally 4 thou over size and dealt with by a few swipes of my hand planes.

My Felder has been accurate and precise for all 11 yrs. I check it once per year and have not needed any adjustments. It was set up by a Felder engineer.

I also have a CF741P which is a 2004 model. It is very accurate and does everything I need.
Look at your space carefully there is no point having a 2.6m wide sliding table that travels 5.5m plus if you cannot use it. So if you have the space it is a good option. The singles option is not a one sided argument as having the ability to rip several hundred mm to the right of the saw supported by the planner table is a labour saving device.
The clashes I find are
1 sawing and thicknessing
2 sawing and spindle moulding but note the spindle fence is designed to be capable of being removed and replaced in exactly the same place so if the spindle fence stops you sawing something it can be removed and then refitted in exactly the same place relative to the spindle.
They are not cheap and add ons always hurt to buy but the quality is excellent and design features are good.
I like the 410 planer but it is rare that you will need that width
Any questions feel free to ask. It is a big decision so spend time getting it right for you.

Felder make machines of fairly good quality in my oppinion.

However if you have enough space I think a planer/thicknesser and a spindle moulder/table saw combination would be a bit more practical as they can be put with their backs against a wall.
I have an old Stenberg four in one combination and like it but it is built to be worked all from one side so it stands with it's back against a wall and leaves a little free floor space in front.

Hi I have also got the 741 combo bought new in 2013 & the quality is superb. My space is limited so this was the machine for me,
If I had a larger workshop I think I would go for separate machines if it was for commercial use.
Also I got the electric height adjustment with led display a must.The spiral cutter block on the planer is also very good.
Any questions just ask
Cheers

Hi
If you want the opinion of another felder customer; I bought a new cf741pro in late 2008 so it had the latest slides for the tilting spindle moulder.
I was working on my own so initially chose the combi machine in preferance to separates. Initially this worked out perfectly but as i became busier i found that i spent too much time changing configuration. To this end i would buy separates if i were to buy now with the benefit of hindsight.
With respect to quality i personally believe felder are great machines, the repeatable accuracy achievable can not be bettered and as you noted using the dial indicators in the handwheels enables precision to 1/100mm!! My machine had powered planer table and i would also recommend getting on/off switches fitted to sliding carriage as the standard switch position is inconvenientlt positioned.
Would be more than happy to discuss over phone any other questions you might have

Best regards David

I use a Felder CF741 combination machine in an 80 square metre workshop, I make one-off pieces of furniture at the premium end of the market. I use a number of the main Felder/Aigner accessories like the large sliding table, large mitre fence, power feed, Aigner/Felder spindle fence, etc.

If I were buying today I'd certainly get the spiral planer block (I use a lot of heavily figured timbers that are prone to tear out, currently I keep a special set of knives with a back bevel and I also use a drum sander, but these are both additional steps which the spiral planer block may well fix at source), I'd also get a digital read out for the cross-cut fence (which can't be fitted retrospectively)

Apart from these I find everything works reliably and accurately. My typical work pattern is to spend a couple of days preparing a cutting list, then anywhere from two to six weeks jointing, assembling, and finishing the job, during which time I don't touch the Felder all that much. So a combination machine fits my needs perfectly, and with a bit of forward planning there's very little delay due to machine changeovers. But if I were making lots of smaller items, or working in a shared workshop, then I might think differently.

Ignore anyone who says combination machines are always wrong or always right, they can be a blessing or a curse but it all depends on your individual situation.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you want more, specific information.

Good luck!

Don't invest in Felder . They are over priced , unreliable and as soon as anything goes wrong , which they will do it becomes very expensive !
Don't be fooled by shiny gimicks a woodworking machine should be simple to use and reliable .
If you've got the space invest in Sedgwick . British made , heavy cast beds , easily maintained simple to use and very reliable . Look out for quality used machines if they ever come up !
I've had more troubles and issues with Felder than anyother woodworking machine .
When a machine is earning you money it should be bullet proof .
Good luck what ever choice you make .

Back