Felder planer blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give Custard or RogerS a shout Peter, I think they have a Hammer C3-31 or 41 and may be able to advise

Any suggestions for quality replacement M42 blades for the Hammer A341 and the Felder A741 both 410mm long, I tried some replacement blades from WoodFord Woodworking but found them poor value for money (poor quality)

Cheers Peter
I've bought my last 2 purchaces from Woodford, Peter and I haven't had any particular problems but you obviously have much more experience than me.
I'd be very interested to know what the problem has been.
Brian

Thanks Brian, I bought a set for each machine to try them out. I had a couple of issues, the dowel holes must have been small as the blades were very tight to get on and dangerous to get off, The holes were also not central so couldn't get the cutting edges lined up without resetting the wedge bar, which as you know defeats the object of self setting blades :confused:

Try Lancashire Saw company. Not sure if they do these specifically, but they do all sorts of planer blades (and bandsaw/circular). I use them for sharpening my 410mm blades.

I just bought some of the ESTA type disposable blades from AMS (Advanced Machinery Services), they were very helpful and sure I remember seeing Felder blades on their list.

Just had a search around the web, including AMS, not much joy. There's The Blade Store, a NZ company selling only through ebay, but looking quite respectable. They're more expensive than Woodford but a lot less than Felder.
So not much choice.
Brian

Be interesting to find out the conclusion of this as I'm due a set of blades as well (410).
If I'd known what I know now when I ordered my machine I'd have gone for tersa

Be interesting to find out the conclusion of this as I'm due a set of blades as well (410).
If I'd known what I know now when I ordered my machine I'd have gone for tersa
I don't remember having a choice when I bought my machine, but that could just be my brain cells going off or it might be due to my naivety at the time.
If I were buying today I think I'd go spiral.
Brian

I don't remember having a choice when I bought my machine, but that could just be my brain cells going off or it might be due to my naivety at the time.
If I were buying today I think I'd go spiral.
Brian
I bought mine before spiral blocks were available Brian and knew nothing about planer blades in general, but the salesman did say that tersa were an option. I would have definitely chosen them over Felders if I'd been more knowledgable as they're much more commonly available.
Like you I'd probably go for a spiral block if I replaced mine though.

I have the Tersa block but not through my "genius". When I went to place my order 15 years ago, the salesman said they had built a machine for a client who went bust before it was delivered. The only none standard item was they had specified a Tersa block, but they would give me a big discount as the firm in liquidation had paid the deposit. Also it was available for immediate delivery.
That said I have been converted. I would not go back to a standard block or the felder system.

Back