Felder PCS/sawstop video

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
transatlantic":4mg8kx9b said:
Doug71":4mg8kx9b said:
I think one of the main reasons people don't use them is the extra time it takes to keep picking them up and putting them down again, I know it's only a couple of seconds but it does interrupt the work flow.

I always use push sticks, but the one argument I agree with is that I do feel like I have less control. Not to the point where I feel I would lose control (which is even more dangerous), but that I feel I could get a more accurate cut by hand. But I am more than happy to perhaps maybe get a slightly inaccurate cut than to lose my fingers. And I do feel like I am getting better and better with push sticks, so it might just be a time/practise thing.

Push blocks on the other hand ... still can't get used to those

1. When it comes to woodwork, I am not even remotely an expert. Quite the opposite.
2. I have found that pushing from a point directly in line with the saw blade keeps the workpiece snuggly against the fence, so cuts more accurately.
3. Because of 2, I have no option but to use a push stick, or cut my fingers off.

Note that up until now I have been cutting mostly 60-70mm wide, 20 mm thick stock from various width rough sawn planks. I'm not doing any huge sheets of MDF or ply. Playing with big lumps of olive wood had me using hands not push sticks, and I managed some impressive kickback and silliness, whilst learning what not to do. Stood at the side of the saw, behind the fence for that. Still have all my fingers (thus far).

4. Most of the table saw accidents I have come across (gory YouTube etc) seem to have involved blocks rather than sticks or freehand. Perhaps there is a reason for that? Perhaps I haven't found the right videos.

Trainee neophyte":86e9k07z said:
transatlantic":86e9k07z said:
Doug71":86e9k07z said:
I think one of the main reasons people don't use them is the extra time it takes to keep picking them up and putting them down again, I know it's only a couple of seconds but it does interrupt the work flow.

I always use push sticks, but the one argument I agree with is that I do feel like I have less control. Not to the point where I feel I would lose control (which is even more dangerous), but that I feel I could get a more accurate cut by hand. But I am more than happy to perhaps maybe get a slightly inaccurate cut than to lose my fingers. And I do feel like I am getting better and better with push sticks, so it might just be a time/practise thing.

Push blocks on the other hand ... still can't get used to those

1. When it comes to woodwork, I am not even remotely an expert. Quite the opposite.
2. I have found that pushing from a point directly in line with the saw blade keeps the workpiece snuggly against the fence, so cuts more accurately.
3. Because of 2, I have no option but to use a push stick, or cut my fingers off.

Note that up until now I have been cutting mostly 60-70mm wide, 20 mm thick stock from various width rough sawn planks. I'm not doing any huge sheets of MDF or ply. Playing with big lumps of olive wood had me using hands not push sticks, and I managed some impressive kickback and silliness, whilst learning what not to do. Stood at the side of the saw, behind the fence for that. Still have all my fingers (thus far).

4. Most of the table saw accidents I have come across (gory YouTube etc) seem to have involved blocks rather than sticks or freehand. Perhaps there is a reason for that? Perhaps I haven't found the right videos.
Blocks and grippers are appalling. They actually shorten your reach and you end up reaching right over the TS blade or planer. Should be banned!
Famous vid of daft yank. Thinks he's demonstrating the dangers of kick back - he isn't it isn't that dangerous as a rule, but he nearly loses his fingers, without even noticing! He's really demonstrating the dangers of push blocks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRrC2Jpp4

Then you get morons like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt0MVtwscyE

"I don't need a riving knife because I know how to use a table saw"

It's a bit like saying I don't need a seat belt because I know how to drive a car.

In both situations, there are variables that you have no control over, and so you put the odds of an accident in your favour by having these safety devices in place.

He's clearly a clever guy, but then he comes out with stuff like this ... and you lose all respect for the guy.

He even goes on to talk about how he learnt when kick backs occur, and how to avoid them. HELLO?!?!?! ... that first kick back could have lost you your fingers ..... he's just lucky it didn't

Some aspects of the video absolutely make sense. You should understand kickback, and you should learn how to avoid it. But that absolutely does not then mean you can disregard safety devices.

Whats more worrying is the comments.

He also mentions that he can't fit a riving knife to his saw anyway????? ..... If your saw doesn't have a riving knife, and you're doing this stuff all day long, ..you know ... as your job, i.e. you depend on it for your income (as he does) .... common sense says you invest in a saw with a riving knife! .. again, clever guy, but misses the most obvious of things.

Back