Felder - odd sales tactic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
Today I had a person come to my gates (security, can't see through, electric, CCTV at all times) saying: I am from Felder. I'm offering deals on machines.

I didn't let him in past the gates and said I am not interested. He went away.

Very odd?

I do not publicise my address. I live in the countryside and you cannot see my house from any road. We have a lot of cameras and full perimeter security and the house and workshops are never unattended.

I am wondering if my wife's concerns about me posting anything on this site are valid. (She banned me from posting my oak framing builds).

Anyone else experienced this? I know Felder machines get scammed a lot.

The registration is KL19PYW. Does not appear on any website (car sales, London congestion charge, Dartford tunnel charge). I will be calling Felder and then the police tomorrow.

That is a strange one, The only thing I can think of is that some supplier you've bought off in the past has sold on your address and personal information. Or you've signed up to Felder or Hammer in some kind of way such as on their site or their catalogue Etc.

I doubt it's from this site, unless you've been giving out information to people.

You'll be on a lot of lists even the local authorities sell on your info.

Do you run a company? If so then all they have to do is associate you with that and it's easy to put two and two together.
Any purchases you made or even researched on line are tracked, just look at the Amazon and Google adverts for example.

Lons":1r2jjiy2 said:

Yes, A friend of mine had a smash not too long ago and the only people that knew their phone number were the police that arrived on the scene, the day after he was getting constant phone calls from claims compensation solicitors.

Trevanion":3sk7m3m1 said:
Lons":3sk7m3m1 said:

Yes, A friend of mine had a smash not too long ago and the only people that knew their phone number were the police that arrived on the scene, the day after he was getting constant phone calls from claims compensation solicitors.
Interesting

3 weeks ago a motorcyclist came out of a T junction without looking and straight into the side of my wife's car, his fault, admitted to the police and there were witnesses.
The next day I had 2 calls on my mobile and 3 to the house 'phone which is ex directory. Her car is on a multi vehicle policy in my name which backs up what you're saying imo.

The Gov.uk lists that on my search as Blue. Just noting that.

What used to be the preserve of the overtly suspicious and paranoid and those with something real to hide for whatever reason, but more and more normal people are becoming aware of the huge intrusion of much modern technology. The easier it gets, the more we are happy to give our information away seemingly. Certainly, your local authority is more than happy to sell it on to the highest random unknown bidder unless you specify to opt out.That's the tip of the iceberg.
I pay for BitDefender on my PC. Worth every penny between it and my sensible usage I have never had a single issue with malware etc since I started using it. But here's a thing, Bitdefender have stated offering a temporary VPN service for free ( well, at no extra cost) You can pay extra to go hidden all the time if you choose. That speaks absolute volumes about the changing face of threat to the ordinary individual. This is not clicking on Google incognito.

When people say on here, I regularly get called by fishers or spammed on email or any number of dirty tactics, sometimes I feel left out. I never get any. Any! I have never in my life been asked for money by a Nigerian King's son. No idea why I slip under the radar. But I have a good idea. When I see people leave a mobile number or worse a full postcode I usually pm them after I wince.
Wyh on earth would you leave your address on an open site saying I have this £1000 lathe to sell, and look here's some pics with lots of background info in it too. Oh look, you can just see some festool stackboxes in the background... You are publishing your shed/shop on the net for free. All they have to do is go to the postcode and guess which property out of 5 has 9 grand of tools in a low security shed with no alarm.
C'mon.

This link compares to alternative engines to google.
It won't help with everything but it will be a start.
http://securityspread.com/2013/07/21/se ... ly-secure/

Data protection is the issue of the times. We all know that yet we are still so lapse (me included).

There was a fascinating and terrifying thing I read of a while back. From memory (and I just spent 20 minutes searching for it and couldn't find it so I apologise profusely and can offer no proof of veracity) of from what I recall was two women introducing new words into conversations they had with each other on the phone or in a room together or online, I can't remember the details, again I apologise. But as they introduced new words and subjects in private conversation hey presto target driven advertising would appear by magic. It was quite chilling because this was not you searching online for blue shoes and getting adverts for blue shoes in any way what so ever. :|

Just open startpage.com and type in 'Google Admits'
https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?qu ... ge=english

Sorry AJB but I don't think I'm going off topic and I don't wear a foil hat but I am wondering about it and I do think it is all related to your issue.

One last point. I'm not a thieving scrote by any stretch but if I was and I read your initial post re your situation, I might well be suddenly interested in further research. Just a heads up from somewhere slightly nearer the gutter in the most well intentioned way my friend. Defence of information being the topic.

Best regards
Chris

Bm101":9ac8bqh9 said:
Wyh on earth would you leave your address on an open site saying I have this £1000 lathe to sell, and look here's some pics with lots of background info in it too. Oh look, you can just see some festool stackboxes in the background... You are publishing your shed/shop on the net for free. All they have to do is go to the postcode and guess which property out of 5 has 9 grand of tools in a low security shed with no alarm.

That's why I always take kit outside if I need to take photographs to sell it with nothing obvious in the background. I've noticed a lot of eBayers have started blurring out the backgrounds of their photographs and just highlighting whatever they're selling, which makes a lot of sense really. Even I have a good nose around a workshop photo on eBay, never know when you might see something ingenious! Or I'm just plain nosy :)

Bm101":9ac8bqh9 said:
the preserve of the overtly suspicious and paranoid and those with something real to hide for whatever reason

Don't dig too deep out in the back field.

Back