Feeling Proud

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shady

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of you will remember that one of my sons got into the Oxfordshire county rugby squad last year...

Well, yesterday, after a number of training sessions, he was picked to captain them in their first competitive game... One always wants one's children to do well at something they enjoy, but this was a bit special... They didn't win - it was their first proper match, deliberately against some pretty serious opposition, but he played the whole match, and made some excellent breaks, hammering down the pitch with 3 or 4 people hanging off him.

Tossing the coin at the beginning (he's on the right: that ref is over 6 foot tall - my 13 year old is not a small boy...):

guycaptainingcounty041.jpg

Debriefing his team afterwards:

guycaptainingcounty055.jpg

County Captain at 13!:

guycaptainingcounty057.jpg

I'm beginning to think we may actually have something special here... Next step is some serious strength training. Just wanted to share this one.

Do we have a budding England Player?

Hah!

Well, that's what he wants... A friend's mum is godmother to Matthew Tait, so he's got to chat with members of the squad, and met people like Joe Rocokoko. My view is, ambition and natural talent should not be ridiculed or denigrated. I don't know how far he'll go, but he's keen, has ability, and has had some significant battering without losing his enthusiasm - so I'll support him as far as he can go/wants to go. Watch this space...

(of course, today in training at his club, he got a sprained ankle, and the centre for his team got a damaged neck: the centre's father is the on call doc at the A&E in Swindon, so he's alright, but it does all remind you what a gamble it all is..) Still, that's what life is all about.

Latest posts

Back