FedEx - the most spectacularly incompetent carrier of them all !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

UKW Supporter
Reaction score
We all have carriers that we like, those we tolerate and those that we hate with a vengeance.
FedEx have just promoted themselves to the top of my relegation league.
Due to a typo on an online order, I'm waiting for a delivery where all details were correct expect the house number which is invalid (doesn't exist and doesn't match the correct postcode)
I spotted this end of the first day when the parcel failed to arrive.
Emailed my supplier who got onto Fedex on my behalf in the morning and corrected the house number. No problem, they will redeliver tomorrow or Monday.
Monday came and Went.
I have tried the online "manage your delivery" link emailed to me, but this has some popup screen that asks for a code number and my email address for verification.
Every time I enter this, it's accepted but the same popup immediately reappears just a second later. Stuck in a loop, I think that it's telling me that they have already tried to deliver it once (of course they didn't because the original invalid address couldn't be put into their delivery itinerary) so I need to do something else but I can't read the screen because the huge popup is always obscuring everything.
I've tried accessing it from different web browsers just in case - exactly the same
I can't find a number for the local delivery office where I know the parcel is waiting.
Yesterday I fought my way through unhelpful contact pages and several layers of automated answering systems and eventually spoke a super helpful guy in their call centre who entered all the corrections and promised delivery this morning.
Same old fail. Yet another "your package could not be delivered" email and the same link to the same defective website.

So ladies and gentlemen, Please avoid this awful company and remember to ask your vendors who they use for logistics. I for one will be avoiding FedEx diligently in future.
No wonder they are getting sub 1 star reviews at the moment !

Due to a typo on an online order, I'm waiting for a delivery where all details were correct expect the house number which is invalid (doesn't exist and doesn't match the correct postcode)
{snip}
So ladies and gentlemen, Please avoid this awful company and remember to ask your vendors who they use for logistics. I for one will be avoiding FedEx diligently in future.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I use FedEx and UPS for my international shipments to and from Germany and have never had a problem with delivery on either end in the past 20+ years. I received a small FedEx delivery yesterday that didn't include my complete street address and house number. This was the shipper's mistake, but the package was at my front door when I returned from shopping.

I'm not going to make excuses for FedEx, but from what you described, you set the conditions for the problem.

FedEx is currently the only carrier that I'm using for eu traffic.

The job I sent to the states with them on Monday was delivered, on time, yesterday. The job sent the day after should be delivered tomorrow. I'll use them again tomorrow to send to Paris.

They all have good and bad days but, right at the moment, FedEx seems to be performing better than any of the competition, especially with deliveries to the EU.

They deliver a million parcels a day across their network so they must be doing something right! I think in the end it comes down to the knowledge/tenacity of your individual driver.

There are too many torrid horror stories to mention. The most recent was the Post Office. A small package from the West coast of the USA. Not delivered. Tracking said "Return to sender, address incorrect". The sender sent an image of the customs form, which was absolutely correct.

But once it got back to California, it turned out that USPS had missed the house name from the shipping label. But the postal code was correct

Now we live in a cul de sac, we regularly talk to the postie, and he knows the my name at that post code well. But nevertheless he obviously thought sod it that morning and sent it back to the sorting office. And hence 7000 miles back to California

Anyway, the sender took the parcel back to the USPS office - and they held up their hand and said "our fault". They refunded him the shipping, and re-sent it free of charge.

But my all time hated outfit is Parcel Farce.

Well, I resorted to my supplier for a second time. They've lodged a formal complaint and we'll see if, on the 4th time of trying the package might actually get onto the van for delivery.
I realise that the original error was mine over the entry of the house number, but this must be such a common mistake and the sheer difficulty of getting it corrected is what has frustrated me.

It sounds like an IT problem at the bottom of this.
My browser is set to block popups, but that has no effect on these :-(
And yes Craig - Parcel Farce are right down there with FedEx. The original knock and run merchants :)

We all have carriers that we like, those we tolerate and those that we hate with a vengeance.
I spotted this end of the first day when the parcel failed to arrive.
Emailed my supplier who got onto Fedex on my behalf in the morning and corrected the house number. No problem, they will redeliver tomorrow or Monday.
Monday came and Went.
I have tried the online "manage your delivery" link emailed to me, but this has some popup screen that asks for a code number and my email address for verification.
Every time I enter this, it's accepted but the same popup immediately reappears just a second later. Stuck in a loop, I think that it's telling me that they have already tried to deliver it once (of course they didn't because the original invalid address couldn't be put into their delivery itinerary) so I need to do something else but I can't read the screen because the huge popup is always obscuring everything.
I've tried accessing it from different web browsers just in case - exactly the same
I can't find a number for the local delivery office where I know the parcel is waiting.
Yesterday I fought my way through unhelpful contact pages and several layers of automated answering systems and eventually spoke a super helpful guy in their call centre who entered all the corrections and promised delivery this morning.
Same old fail. Yet another "your package could not be delivered" email and the same link to the same defective website.

Something to do with the TNT takeover?

Herpes are the worst. It is known.

Yesterday one turned up, walked through the gate and saw the very old front door with a sign on it saying "not the front door. turn left and find the blue front door and porch". Naturally your man turned right instead came around the back, OPENED OUR BACK DOOR and chucked the parcel in. When I caught up to him and told him not to go opening peoples doors I was told "well dont have it then I'll take it back".

So now I need to make a new sign with a clucking arrow on it and a photo of the front door.

As always of course a lot will depend on the drivers you have for your patch. The lady that used to deliver for Herpes was great, but she has apparently moved on. Our DPD guy is great, as are the 3 posties we have.

Well yes we can all personally do better. And I'm sure that courier company staff don't go to work each day hell bent on doing a bad job.

But having had thee packages now sent back to sender half way around the planet (always Parcel Farce), and crush a Torkmek T7 so badly that the frame, and even the drive shaft was bent you can see why I'm cynical.

And a Tektronix oscilloscope I sold to a French guy that arrived so badly damaged that he was cynical that I had sent a different unit to the one in the eBay pictures. Until I sent him images of my packing it that clearly showed the serial number. "Fragile" labels seem to bring out the worst in delivery couriers - just chuck this delicate piece of kit in the van.

DPD around here are the worst, had a couple of nightmare experience with them, will never use them again.

I think the only way you can judge couriers is on a relative basis with others that have delivered to you, then some may stick out as not so good. Recently had some issues with Hermes where they said delivery today, then sorry no delivery today and sorry delivery may be delayed and finally on the same day it was delivered early, we could have easily just gone out so are Hermes employing defunct or moonlighting politicians. Both Amazon and DPD round here are excellent, both giving time slots and meeting them. Running for top spot are Fedex, total chaos and three delivery days missed so far and at one point it was due for delivery but another message said arriving at Stansted, but then Fedex are not very common round here so give them a bit of leeway.

You are lucky that you just have delivery problems with them. Here they are absolute pirates and will charge anywhere from £50 to £160 just for doing the paperwork to clear an item through customs, NOTE that doesn’t include duties and VAT and has no relation to the value of the item. They also try to insist that you travel the 500km to their office.

The post Office is extremely good and for many items they don’t go through customs at all or there is no or a very small fee for clearance

Parcel Farce are right down there with FedEx. The original knock and run merchants :)

Or, as I once had, drive straight past the house without stopping, but mark "delivery attempted - no one in - card left". That was retracted fairly quickly once I pointed out that I had CCTV footage of the van going straight past at speed at the time they'd claimed to have attempted delivery...

Hoorah !
FedEx say they delivered it today.
But apparently somewhere else as I was in all day and they certainly didn't deliver it to me ...

It's been signed for by someone called Melville who I've never heard of.
Maybe it was tossed into the Manchester ship canal on the way over Thelwall viaduct and has been eaten by a great white whale ?
But at least it won't be on their overdue delivery report sheet in the morning :)

I wonder what proof of delivery they will offer up to my poor, long suffering vendor tomorrow ?

Herpes are the worst. It is known.

Yesterday one turned up, walked through the gate and saw the very old front door with a sign on it saying "not the front door. turn left and find the blue front door and porch". Naturally your man turned right instead came around the back, OPENED OUR BACK DOOR and chucked the parcel in. When I caught up to him and told him not to go opening peoples doors I was told "well dont have it then I'll take it back".

So now I need to make a new sign with a clucking arrow on it and a photo of the front door.

As always of course a lot will depend on the drivers you have for your patch. The lady that used to deliver for Herpes was great, but she has apparently moved on. Our DPD guy is great, as are the 3 posties we have.
The tinged messanger!

Well, I resorted to my supplier for a second time. They've lodged a formal complaint and we'll see if, on the 4th time of trying the package might actually get onto the van for delivery.
I realise that the original error was mine over the entry of the house number, but this must be such a common mistake and the sheer difficulty of getting it corrected is what has frustrated me.

It sounds like an IT problem at the bottom of this.
My browser is set to block popups, but that has no effect on these :-(
And yes Craig - Parcel Farce are right down there with FedEx. The original knock and run merchants :)
Herpes don't even knock/ring bell, just leave the parcel for you to find next time you open the door which could be next day! It's what the couriers have been instructed to do.

Just got back from our morning walk. Observed a DPD driver casually throwing in a largish but lightweight parcel from the back doors to the front of the van, disproving the saying "couldn't give a toss". Obviously 2nd nature to him.

Back