February Challenge ( The Results and comments )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have the results from Richard and his comments on each of the winning entry's

The results are in!!!

This was a tough one to judge as the standard was so high. I have to congratulate everyone that entered as I feel the standard of this month's entries is the best yet. I think this is because people have been challenged and have really had to think and plan their work.

Because of the high standard I have had to be harsh, so any work that shows any faults was immediately out of running.

1st and 6 points , Nev: I was drawn to this one, I think the finish is great, the design great and the way it all works is great too. Well done.

2nd and 5 points Silverbirch: I loved the quality of the finish, and the elegance of the finished job. Several entries were in verious woods and not all of them "worked" with the mix of timber, I felt this one really did. Well done.

3rd and 4 points Jumps: I loved the simplicity of this one and yet it works so well and is technically excellent and visually stunning. Well done.

4th and 3 points Highly commended duncanh: I think this is the entry with the most components but this alone isn't what puts it in the running, the range of different turning skills used and the quality of execution is what did it, along with a unique and clever design. Well done.

5th and 2 points Highly commended Hesh: Again, a good mix/contrast of timber used which compliments each other, excellent finish, clever design and exicution of the brief and a number of simple but effective details used. Well done.

All other entrants who submitted photos for judging also get 1 point each

I hope everyone can agree with my results. I am happy to give feedback on any of the work either via PM or on the forum if asked.

Great work everyone!!

Richard

Please post your comments here

Firstly I would like to thank Richard for his input and Judging , Not an easy month to be a judge :lol: so well done and thanks again =D>

Also I would like to thank everyone for taking part , I did wonder if we would have many entry's as it was not a straight forward challenge , but you all did yourself proud =D>

Well done to all the winners , I was impressed with the quality of the designs and the workmanship of the individual pieces

I will get the March ( A Tazza cake stand ) R&R's up tomorrow :mrgreen:

Yipee, I got a point, I count that as a great achievement after seeing the other entries =D> .
Cingrats to the winners its great to be in the top five, but I think that Febs. comp. is the most difficult I have seen since the Challange started. Richard must be complimented on what had to be a very tough job, Well done Richard =D> =D> .
To everyone who made an entry take a Bow we were the only ones that could have won.( If your not in you cant win)

I hope I never hear a Ball mentioned on this forum again :twisted: :mrgreen:

I enjoy watching this competition each month as it always produces great pieces of turning but this months entries have been outstanding. Congratulations to everyone who entered you should all be very proud of yourselves.

john

Congratulations to all the winners =D> =D> =D> - I knew that my meagre effort had little chance of even a minor placing once I had seen all the other entries, but I have again achived my target of scoring a point each month!!

Thanks to the challenge organisers and the judge - any feedback on my entry from the judge would be welcome (either by PM or openly on the forum - I can take it!!!! :shock: :shock: )

Roll on the March challenge!! :lol: :lol:

Mike

Well there's a first.

Richard has put the top five in exactly the same order as I had them. I AGREE WITH THE JUDGE - WHOOPEE.

I'm sure this will make his day :wink:

Well done everybody. Some great ideas in there. My favourite IDEA was Saturn and its moon but amongst this month's entries, it just failed to realise the ambition - great stuff though.

The way things are going in the workshop, it may well be a couple of months yet before I can unearth the lathe - can't wait to get stuck in.

Again, many congratulations to you all.

Gordon, thanks for the comment, the Saturn design was clear in my head, but I was let down again by my brian to tool interaction devices :oops:
Congratulations to the winners this month, and to everyone else who entered, the quality of work is outstanding. =D> I have so so much to learn.
Thanks to Richard as well for judging . I was close with guessing the top five line up, but oh boy tough one.
Bring on the Tazza Cake Stand :D

I have to say I was particularily surprised at the range of ideas presented, as well as the work put in by everyone.

Thanks to the judge for the constructive comments, as well as giving me points :) these really help focus attention going forwards.

The slightly scary thing is that I have already been asked "could you make a really big version of that?", and further discussion established that they were thinking bigger than 12" for the ball ... :(

Now that the genuine shock has subsided, what can i say? Thank you. I shall clear the mantle piece :D
Whilst I was happy with my entry I still prefer most of the others to my own. Go figure!

It never ceases to amaze me how different people interpret the same words. The design i came up with was the only thing I could think of, but we have 23 different interpretations! =D>

Well done to everyone and especially to those sadists who incorporated more than one ball in their design :shock: .

Now how on earth do we turn one of these for next month?

169px-Taz-Looney_Tunes.svg.png

:wink:

Congrats to all entrants on this tough one, most entries had already been posted by the time I was able too, and as I scrolled down to add mine I was quite intimidated by the very high quality on display.

Congratulations to everyone who entered this month, some superb ideas and entries I thought. Thanks also to Richard for judging (rather you than me) and thanks for the feedback. I look forward to the Tazza and the rest of the challenges without a ball in sight.. :lol:

I got the No 1 right and was amazed by the quality of the workmanship and finish by all of the entrants.
My thanks to Richard for the judging and all that put in so much hard work to make this a success.
It was my first comp ever and I have now got the bug.

Terry

Well done everyone, especially the "top 5". Lots of different ideas going on in peoples heads and so many interpretations. Nice one Nev, well deserved first place =D> . A big thanks to Richard for judging what was a challenge with a difference.

Dave

An amazing challenge.

I think this has been the best of the competitions to date.

The range of interpretations is outstanding

Well done Nev really well deserved.

Latest posts

Back