Feather board on planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've never seen or heard of anyone using a feather board on the outfeed end of a planer. Is there a reason for. I ask because I have some long thin pieces of oak that I want to plane but because of their length I'm struggling to feed them through and keep pressure on the outfeed end. I thought a feather board attached to the fence could solve this problem, but as I've never known anyone do this before thought there might be a good reason that I'm missing?

Making your own is easy - just parallel stopped cuts in a board along the grain like a long toothed comb, size and shape to suit the job, clamped to the fence. And/or clamped to the table if you want to hold in both ways.
You'd certainly be able to improve on that expensive axminster offering.

Hi James

What also works in place of the board Jacob suggests is an offcut of 10mm PVC foam board. An offcut from a facia or windowcill cover board is ideal and the UPVc guys throw it away by the skipload. Same construction method Jacob suggests.

Don't know if freely available in France but there are many other plastics which will do the job as their strength is flexibility / strength, polycarbonate is even better if you can find it.

bob

It's not actually making a feather board that I have a problem with, it's just that I've never known anyone use a feather board on a planer table before and wondered if there was a reason for that or do people actually use them and it's just that I've never seen it before?

All the ones that I have seen, bought or home made, seem to be used on the infeed table to push up against the fence or on the fence keeping it pressed against the outfeed table.

All downward pressure should be on the outfeed table, any downward pressure on the infeed table (especially with thin stock) is negating the straighteng effect of your planer, there should be no need for a featherboard.

Andy

Thanks James, as you've seen it done and noone is screaming 'don't do it!' I think it will be safe to go ahead and try it.

Thanks Andy, but I don't need it straightening, just cleaning up. I intend to use the featherboard to put downward pressure on the outfeed end.

Froggy":1gjnmalx said:
I intend doing that after Teckel but if I don't plane one side first it will damage my thicknesser bed. It has done before.

If you want your board to be square, you need to plane one side and one edge to 90 deg. first.

And Magswitches will only work if your fence is Iron or Steel!

Back