Favourite marking knives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you need, Richard, is a blog claiming that your knives aren't just knives, but part of a "lifestyle". Then you can sell the "lifestyle" as being embedded in the knives.

Think of how much more a knife is worth when it comes with a whole lifestyle. (hammer)

As anyone who lives in London knows there are a lot of armed police at train stations at the moment because of the terrorist threat. The other day on my way to pick up my daughter from school I got off at Tottenham Hale and there were loads of police with dogs waiting at the exit searching people. In my younger weed smoking days these things always worried me and instinctively I put my hands in my pocket to discover I had a marking knife and a lock knife in my pocket that I had been using at work (might seem weird to the Americans on this forum but here we aren't allowed to carry anything that might be construed to be a weapon). I put my hand in the other pocket to find a pair of my seven year old daughter's knickers!! I hate to think what they would have thought of me had they of searched me, luckily I walked passed them without incident.
Paddy

Thanks Richard and Charles. I hate throwing tools away that have given good service over the years. Now I just have to find it.

To digress slightly, a little while back I went to a talk at a Tools and Trades History Sociey (Taths) meeting by the estimable Colin Sullivan about the history of the Stanley knife. I think he has one of just about every model made in its long history and the talk was facinating. Some might say that says a lot about me but I can thoroughly recommend Taths http://taths.org.uk/ to anyone with an interest in hand tools.

Jim

Sgian Dubh":fpydhtxz said:
Hi Richard

Those are TERRIBLE looking knives :D You obviously attack your wood like a fevourished devish. I imagine a patch over one eye - so accuracy is unlikely anyway, and the wide lines scored with this .. ahem ... tools offer you some latitude. :lol:
I knew you'd be jealous of the superior qualities evident in my collection of the finest knives available in the world. I'm thinking of setting up a production line and selling them at something like £40 or £50 each (~US$70 - 75). You know what they say - build it, and people will come, or something like that. Shall I put you down for a couple of pre-release samples for you to evaluate, write about, photograph in detail, and publish on the tool review section of your website? It'd be bound to boost enquiries and sales for me. Slainte.

Mmm .. Richard, I assume that you are joking (but I do not see a smiley). Otherwise that is a loaded statement in what is intended to be a fun thread.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Corneel":8hmzq7c3 said:
Jokes are funnier without smileys.

Maybe.

But internet forums are bad tempered enough as things stand, smiley faces at least help to indicate that the intention was humour not offence, and can therefore defuse an otherwise incendiary post.

:D

See what I mean!

custard":2h2n06a0 said:
smiley faces at least help to indicate that the intention was humour not offence, and can therefore defuse an otherwise incendiary post.
I never use those emoticon things custard - I just can't be bothered with them. I assumed the ridiculousness of the claim of superiority for my knives made it obvious I was joking. I find it hard to believe anyone would fail to spot the intended humour in my contributions to this thread, but I suppose you're right to say someone, somewhere, might have been offended. Who knows?

However, those knives I photographed really did come out of my toolbox, and all three of them are regular users - they're the only ones I possess, so I don't really have a choice, unless I decide to (needlessly in my opinion) make something more visually attractive, or buy some that somebody else has made. My marking knives aren't very pretty, but they work, and that to me is the key priority. Slainte.

D_W":3j0vr189 said:
What you need, Richard, is a blog claiming that your knives aren't just knives, but part of a "lifestyle". Then you can sell the "lifestyle" as being embedded in the knives. (hammer)
Ah, David. Good point. You're right, with an entirely fictitious and aspirational story, I could probably ask for 50% more. I'm usually pretty good at spinning a yarn, so I might set about creating a flowery dose of drivel incorporating such motifs as the sweat of ancient craftsmanship, bucolic village joinery workshop, curly plane shavings on the floor, oil or gas lamps, bull's eye windows, open fire with Windsor chair sticks drying above, water wheel powered bandsaw, hay in the meadow visible through the open double doors, contented cud-chewing cattle ... all that sort of stuff. Slainte.

Oh no Richard, curly plane shavings? You're clearly 'doing it wrong' if your shavings come out curly. Haven't you been reading all the chipbreaker threads? :wink:

Sgian Dubh":zhfh8zqs said:
D_W":zhfh8zqs said:
What you need, Richard, is a blog claiming that your knives aren't just knives, but part of a "lifestyle". Then you can sell the "lifestyle" as being embedded in the knives. (hammer)
Ah, David. Good point. You're right, with an entirely fictitious and aspirational story, I could probably ask for 50% more. I'm usually pretty good at spinning a yarn, so I might set about creating a flowery dose of drivel incorporating such motifs as the sweat of ancient craftsmanship, bucolic village joinery workshop, curly plane shavings on the floor, oil or gas lamps, bull's eye windows, open fire with Windsor chair sticks drying above, water wheel powered bandsaw, hay in the meadow visible through the open double doors, contented cud-chewing cattle ... all that sort of stuff. Slainte.

I'd definitely buy one if you had a water powered bandsaw :D
I apologise for any previous jokes without smileys, I always thought they would be obvious from my tone of voice :?

JimB":2ymvs0k0 said:
Sgian Dubh, if that's the model stanley knife I think it is they don't make blades for it any more. I have to grind a bit off the newer ones to make them fit.

I have an old Stanley like that, for which blades are not made any more. It is simple to take a modern Stanley blade, lay it into the retaining half of the knife, and you'll see the tab that is easily ground off with a Dremel style tool. There is also another Stanley similar in appearance that has a second portion, to which the slope of the blade abuts, that also may need ground. Regardless, it was a simple matter to alter the knife to take modern blades.

That old Stanley is one of my favorites.

CStanford":3sz8x8i2 said:
Oh no Richard, curly plane shavings? You're clearly 'doing it wrong' if your shavings come out curly. Haven't you been reading all the chipbreaker threads? :wink:
Curly shavings wouldn't get the punters excited, don't you agree Charles? Straight ones would never do ... they just don't present the right image to the credulous wood butcher with a hot credit card ready to melt into uselessness if it's not soon used.

Perhaps I should put in one of those yellow smiley winking faces here, but failed to do that yet again. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":2ndckcc5 said:
D_W":2ndckcc5 said:

I'm hooked, when can I come and visit?

thanks Tony. I'd been grinding a piece out of the blades to let them fit. I suppose the old blades are about 50mm long as opposed to the modern 62mm.

Back