Favorite YouTube woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as an aside, Matthias Wandel's channel is now showing 1.5m subscribers. When I looked about 6 months ago it was only 100k.
Something strange going on!

Deadeye":3fyinxcx said:
Just as an aside, Matthias Wandel's channel is now showing 1.5m subscribers. When I looked about 6 months ago it was only 100k.
Something strange going on!

He's got two or three channels titled "Matthias Wandel", I think the main one has 1.5M subs.

Leo of Sampson Boat has quickly become my favourite YouTuber. He is a gifted carpenter and seems very humble.

And to think I thought he was a yacht owning posh boy when I first heard of him. More fool me.

Second side comment. I don't have a favorite youtuber. When people start focusing on generating revenue, their channel is FAR behind something like Curtis Buchanan's excellent 20-something video set on making a windsor chair. The part of youtube that used to be great (and still may be from time to time if you can actually find the videos) is when someone takes a lifetime of work that they're good at and puts it into a group of youtube videos. And then you move on to the next something of the same thing, etc.

the professional content makers tend to be a lot less at good quality woodworking, and tend to get a sense of entitlement and resentment if audiences are critical (john heisz comes to mind - nothing particularly wrong with the guy, but most of us would be a lot further along if we were watching people better at woodworking than good at releasing a video every day or two).

I had an excellent channel recommendation off Youtube today, Gary Thomson Joinery. Seems like a lovely, soft-spoken Scottish chap with a good sense of humour. He's not got a lot of videos up but it's definitely quality over quantity.

[youtube]VNw_BLbhqmE[/youtube]
[youtube]knaOb_hy-qI[/youtube]
[youtube]LUXPWH632hQ[/youtube]

not technically 'woodworking' but I like his advice on restoration and he seems like he knows what he's talking about:

Peter Ward

Trevanion":34ltpqcs said:
I had an excellent channel recommendation off Youtube today, Gary Thomson Joinery. Seems like a lovely, soft-spoken Scottish chap with a good sense of humour. He's not got a lot of videos up but it's definitely quality over quantity.

I've watched a few of them. I think quite a few posters on here will appreciate watching a working tradesman doing commercial jobs. Definitely not designed to game the YouTube algorithm and retire at 25!

thetyreman":2qu20kds said:
not technically 'woodworking' but I like his advice on restoration and he seems like he knows what he's talking about:

Peter Ward

He's a very contentious man in the conservation and building trade, some worship the ground he walks on and others think he just talks a load of bullocks and arguments can get quite lively in the comment sections.

Kinda similar to someone who used to frequent the forum... :lol:

Trevanion":240c9yt9 said:
thetyreman":240c9yt9 said:

Peter Ward

He's a very contentious man in the conservation and building trade, some worship the ground he walks on and others think he just talks a load of bullocks and arguments can get quite lively in the comment sections.

Kinda similar to someone who used to frequent the forum... :lol:

I think that's why I like him :D especially his views on damp proofing are very refreshing, I found his stuff because of looking into lime plastering which is something I'm very interested in at the moment.

If precision woodworking floats your boat then this YouTuber might by up your street:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEG9FR ... R1OzZNiGTg

German (no comments about stereotypes please! :)) but you can turn on english subtitles.
Looks like he's a piano restorer by trade, so he probably needs sub millimetre tolerances. He has built a very impressive (and clean) workbench!

Trevanion":227ik9p2 said:

[youtube]VNw_BLbhqmE[/youtube]
[youtube]knaOb_hy-qI[/youtube]
[youtube]LUXPWH632hQ[/youtube]

Totaly agree, a Mc geezer that knows what he's doing with a good presentation. In my top five. =D>

I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea but someone who I think is worth watching is Mark Novak with his "Anvil" series on firearms, even if firearms aren't your thing at all it's an interesting blend of engineering and woodworking done by a very skilled hand who is very good at talking you through what he's doing. There are loads of little tips that you can pick up by watching if you're into restoration/conservation work although the videos are quite long but Mark is quite good at keeping your attention and is quite entertaining in his own way, he's one of those ones that can keep a very interesting conversation with just himself in the room.

I think if you watch a master of any craft you'll pick something up you can apply to your own work at some point down the line.

[youtube]mXj_SaE8Z08[/youtube]

[youtube]LKeOQVsyRMU[/youtube]

[youtube]fD6LdfhVA14[/youtube]

[youtube]4baaSSMzpuk[/youtube]

Full playlist here as some are unlisted if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-BWo2RPhyA&list=PLXkDgOmKP4dr1tBHqtrScjMGQRrt2MU1r&index=1

Not sure if they've been mentioned before, but some smaller channels I enjoy are:

Dorian Bracht, who just makes videos about how to make one specific joint with hand tools.

Attila's Workshop, an Australian who doesn't upload often but his videos show great attention to detail. He also does some metalworking for most projects.

Kodama Designs. He only has four videos, but they're quite impressive. He uses a (I'm guessing high-end) CNC machine to create joinery. Shows that you can do really creative things with cnc machines.

Edit: That got me in the mood to compile a longer list of good woodworking channels.

Last edited:
Back