Faulty zips on Dickies overalls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Narramore

Established Member
Reaction score
Dammit! I really like the quality of Dickies Redhawk overalls, quality material, etc but today the zip failed. Basically the zip was undoing behind the slider. I looked closely at the teeth and could see no fluff jammed in the teeth nor misaligned teeth. I applied soap but it made no difference. I got my other pair out and pipper me, the same happened with those. Checking on line it seems others have commented on these zips. Whilst the overalls are only a year old, they are almost new so I’m sure Dickies won’t change or repair them. So do I buy another pair, get them repaired or lose some weight?

Last edited:
It's not just you, the metal zips on mine failed too, both pairs of Redhawk overalls. I fitted a new decent zip to one pair then the other failed. It's not a matter of waistline as I didn't burst mine open the metal zips are shoddy and wear to failure with limited use. Sizing is way off and the body lengths are short. Price is competitive and pockets and material are otherwise fine.

I bought two pairs of Snickers Canvas+ trousers a couple of years back and both zips broke within a month, too much hassle trying to get them to sort it ("Please send them back so we can investigate and come to a conclusion whether it was down to misuse" or some nonsense like that which I would guess I would've ended up being out of pocket anyway) so I had the zips replaced by a local seamstress and they haven't failed at all since. Bearing in mind, these trousers are ~£70 a pair!

Would I buy them again? Yes, because the rest of the trousers are really well made but why put absolutely rubbish metal zips on, the metal zips I had put on were only around £0.50 each!

Same problem here. I love the Dickies Redhawk as they fit me, but the zip fails every time. I’ve tried others but I find them short in the arms. I was going to try their press stud overalls but they don’t sell them in the same sizes! Why can’t they use a nylon zip, they seem to be much more reliable.

It does seem that it’s the slider at fault most times. I’ve seen so called replacement zip sliders that claim to solve the problem of worn out sliders but my overalls are comparatively new. I think I will get one set of overalls fitted with a replacement zip. I know it will be expensive but in every other way, the overalls are great.

It's not just you, the metal zips on mine failed too, both pairs of Redhawk overalls. I fitted a new decent zip to one pair then the other failed. It's not a matter of waistline as I didn't burst mine open the metal zips are shoddy and wear to failure with limited use. Sizing is way off and the body lengths are short. Price is competitive and pockets and material are otherwise fine.
You fitted your own zips? How difficult was that? What replacement zips did you choose? Nylon or plastic ones? Where do you get these from?

I’ve just sent some feedback to [email protected] . A few more requests for an improved zip can’t do any harm.
Richard
I received two replies from them. The first asked me for my account number and so on, but I hadn't bought them directly from Dickies. The second email said that they were only retailers and not the manufacturers so it was up to me to take it up with whoever I bought the overalls from. I have now asked them for details of the manufacturers. In the meantime my son is going to give me a pair of tough overalls. No Dickies for me from now on. It's a shame as everything else is very well made. Paul.

Latest posts

Back