Faulty magnetic starter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy RV

Established Member
Reaction score
I fitted a motor starter to my table saw yesterday, upon plugging in the motor started straight away without touching the start button, pressing the stop button stops the motor but it will start again when it's released, I've checked the wiring and i'm sure it's all ok, so i'm hazarding a guess to the starter being faulty, has anyone experienced anything like this before?

I've messaged the company on ebay that I got it off but I doubt i'll let a reply until next week.

Thanks, Andy.

Do you have a photo of the starter and wiring?
Are the start stop buttons separate and wired to a contactor or is this a one piece unit?

Chris

If the starter NOT of the contactor type that Chris mentions, and is new - presumably, then it is likely that you have wired the input and output the wrong way round which could give the effect you describe.

Bob

This is the starter that I've got:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....5&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123#ht_943wt_1037

I'm sure I've got the input from the mains connected to the top terminals and the output to the motor coming from the bottom terminals, I'll have another look tomorrow to make sure I've not made a silly mistake.
If it is as I think, is it safe for me to swap the input and output connections over and try that?

Thanks for the help, I've very little experience with electrics and i'm trying to avoid frying anything!

Ok so i've got around to taking some pictures:

The supplied wiring diagram:

IMG-20120319-00317.jpg

Overall view of the starter, cable coming in on the right is from the motor and goes down to the bottom of the starter to the output terminals, input cable from the mains coming in top left to the input terminals.

IMG-20120319-00313.jpg

View of top input terminals, Coming from the mains, neutral blue into L1, live brown into L3, a link cable called X-X link is connected to L2 then travels down to the bottom of the unit and connects to T3:

IMG-20120319-00314.jpg

View of the bottom terminals, cables are going out to the motor, neutral blue into T1, live brown into T2 and the X-X link is connected into T3:

IMG-20120319-00315.jpg

So as far as I can see, i've followed the wiring diagram correctly, but it's still no good. :?

Have you tried switching it on without the cover on?

Make sure you don't touch anything inside though.

I fitted a DOL starter once and had the same problem, then discovered that the part of the starter the ON button presses against was fitted incorrectly which meant that when I put the cover on the cover was pressing on it causing the motor to start when the power was switched on.

Tom

Back