Father's Day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
My kind No. 1 son dropped off this last weekend. He found it in his woodland playground and looks to have been lying there for a few years.

Yew A.jpg

It's about 1400 long x 300 diameter with more to come if I want it, and he also added a bottle of whisky to give me the strength to cut it up.

Are the two different colours the line between heartwood and sapwood?

Attachments

• Yew A.jpg
    Yew A.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 640
  • Yew B.jpg
    Yew B.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 628
I got a large dark chocolate Toblerone from each of my sons.

:D

Pete

Card in the morning phone call in the afternoon. He is also farther to my grand children and it is far more important to me that they spend time together as a family.

I got a back scratcher and a shoe horn from my lass. (5) I got them from my lad a couple of years ago when he was 5. I'm properly sorted for scratching and horning nowadays. A mug from my lad. Touch. I didn't remember to read the positive message printed on it.
The School runs a Fathers day gift service. Really. When did that stuff start?
Thanks for that.
A bottle of black gin from the Mrs. No idea what it is other than a valid excuse for 'medicinal'.

My 9 year old gave me a card he had made. On the front was a little matchstick man holding a hammer and a saw, underneath it said "I love work". I thanked him and said "I don't really love work that much", he said "But you spend all your time working?". I tried to explain bills have to be paid but it did make me feel like an awful dad :oops: Note to self less work and more time with kids!

Doug71":1uqpvfa0 said:
My 9 year old gave me a card he had made. On the front was a little matchstick man holding a hammer and a saw, underneath it said "I love work". I thanked him and said "I don't really love work that much", he said "But you spend all your time working?". I tried to explain bills have to be paid but it did make me feel like an awful dad :oops: Note to self less work and more time with kids!

I'm not a father and it's a bit late to start now, and my own Dad is long gone, unfortunately, so all this passes me by, by and large. But my mate Bob is a singer and he does this one:
[youtube]KUwjNBjqR-c[/youtube]
Absolutely no judgment intended, as I say, I've never had to be in that game.

Thanks for that Steve, I feel even worse now!

I don't think the kids actually realise how much they see of me compared to some other families.

The reason I am self employed is so I can work round them. I often find my self at kids events where I am the only dad because it's on a weekday afternoon so all the rest are working.

It is hard getting the balance right, I am doing no work this weekend, not even in the office, 100% child time, if I can drag them off the Xbox!

Doug71":vh6u401p said:
Thanks for that Steve, I feel even worse now!
Ah Doug, that wasn't my intention. Sorry. But there is a significant message there, I think, as an outsider.

Doug71":vh6u401p said:
It is hard getting the balance right, I am doing no work this weekend, not even in the office, 100% child time, if I can drag them off the Xbox!

=D> I suspect it is a way of life issue.

I taught in an inner city school for 4 long dark miserable years in the 80s, my first job after university. It put me off kids for life. Little sprouts. When you have been assaulted by a 12 year old and then asked by your HOD what you did to upset hem, it's easy to lose faith in the system . (The individual involved went on to serve time for GBH before he was out of his teens). Now, of course, the idea of being a granddad is a lot more appealing than being a dad ever was. Too bad, it's a bit late now.

I really hope that you end up doing a better job (of everything) than I ever did.

S

I sharpened my favourite knife today. It is my go-to tool when I want a knife. Ok, the handle is a bit crude and the sheath is nothing to write home about but it takes a nice edge and I enjoy using it. Especially as it was a father's day gift from my son a few years ago. He was 11 at the time and he made the knife and sheath in shop class at school.

I once made a matchbox holder for my grandparents. It was a piece of wood about 6"x3", stained, mind you, not any old bit of firewood, with a carefully bent piece of tin can to make a pocket in which to place a box of matches. There was even a triangle as an embellishment (think Bass beer...)

It was a project in a book called "A hundred things a boy can make" that was my Dad's. I wish I still had that book, I loved poring over it. I don't know what happened to it. :(
S

It was probably the first "proper" thing I ever made.

Latest posts

Back