Fastcap magnetic micro square 45 degree or another square for tool setup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Does anyone use this square?

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/fastcap-magnetic-micro-square-45-degree/
I need a small square that I could use to set my blade, fences and so on to precise 90 and 45 degrees. This looks like it would be good, and probably would fit under my table saw blade without touching the teeth. Before committing I’d like some opinions or alternative options of what people use.

So yeah, would be really helpful to hear from you people!

The magnetic base will make this really useful and for £35 it is not a lot of money, I may look at getting one myself. For woodworking projects the Benchdogs triangle is ideal although not the cheapest option.

This is what you want. Does a lot more than 45 and 90, which in this game is really what you want.
103863_xl.jpg

It's a simple case of putting it on the table, pressing zero, then putting it on the blade and adjusting the blade to any angle you want.
The base is magnetic, so happily stays stuck to the blade as you make the adjustments.
Has other uses too.
https://www.axminstertools.com/ujk-...MI5rnT7ZH19gIVRO3tCh1KzQiSEAQYAiABEgIYJ_D_BwE

For my datum gauge, which i use on my mitre trimmer, I use a Japanese mitre square. I went Japanese as they're so accurate in everything they do, that a gauge from Japan is likely to be spot on.
https://www.axminstertools.com/ice-bear-japanese-try-mitre-square-metric-510017

Hi, do not want to sound rude, but you just assumed something about me and then explained how to use a tool that I own. It was a waste of money and I wish I didn't have it. There's something like +- 0.2 degree tolerance, not quite the precision I am after.

This is what you want. Does a lot more than 45 and 90, which in this game is really what you want.
View attachment 132932
It's a simple case of putting it on the table, pressing zero, then putting it on the blade and adjusting the blade to any angle you want.
The base is magnetic, so happily stays stuck to the blade as you make the adjustments.
Has other uses too.
https://www.axminstertools.com/ujk-...MI5rnT7ZH19gIVRO3tCh1KzQiSEAQYAiABEgIYJ_D_BwE

For my datum gauge, which i use on my mitre trimmer, I use a Japanese mitre square. I went Japanese as they're so accurate in everything they do, that a gauge from Japan is likely to be spot on.
https://www.axminstertools.com/ice-bear-japanese-try-mitre-square-metric-510017

Your second suggestion, however, seems like something that I am looking for. Do you use it to set up the blades?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The magnetic base will make this really useful and for £35 it is not a lot of money, I may look at getting one myself. For woodworking projects the Benchdogs triangle is ideal although not the cheapest option.
Well, I need it in particular to set up blades and it would most likely be used only for that and occasional marking duties, but for that, I mostly have my cast iron squares.

Bit of magnetic tape on any square?
Actually I do not care too much about the magnets, it most likely would be nice but it's not what I am after fundamentally. I need a reliable small square that's got 90 and 45 degrees to set up fences and blades.

The good thing about a square is that it has no moving parts and is easily checked for accuracy, plus you can shine a light from the other side to get a good idea that the blade is parallel.

The electronic boxes can be hit and miss but the way I use them is to use them for relative measurement and not absolute, so I set zero on the bed and then set the blade like Triton has said but I have had one that was always out.

The good thing about a square is that it has no moving parts and is easily checked for accuracy, plus you can shine a light from the other side to get a good idea that the blade is parallel.

The electronic boxes can be hit and miss but the way I use them is to use them for relative measurement and not absolute, so I set zero on the bed and then set the blade like Triton has said but I have had one that was always out.

Yes, hence I want a square for a particular use, of setting the blades and fences. I'm just looking for more opinions on precision setting of the blades and so on.

The digital square thing, I have one, and as I've said in previous post, I wish I didn't because it's a waste of 25 perfectly fine quid in my work.

Edit, there's a chance that my one is a lemon, because I have consistently inconsistent results, but even if it wasn't it's got -+0.2 degrees tolerances, but 45 +-0.2 is not quite the 45.

Last edited:
I am looking at buying that square but "pocket size" is hardly a unit of measurement and I noticed it looks to be marked in Imperial units not that, that maters for a setup square.

The other square is the Woodpeckers one, Woodpeckers Mini Square

and that has a statement of quote:

Guaranteed Accuracy. Woodpeckers are so confident that their Precision Aluminum Squares are the best, most accurate square you'll own, they cover them by a Lifetime Guarantee to stay square to within a minimum of .001" or we'll replace it.

but you just assumed something about me and then explained how to use a tool that I own.
Sorry pal, ive assumed nothing about you, unless you've taken something personal from a generalized "This is what you want" Which translates to 'this is good, ideal, a handy bit of kit etc etc'
Plus how im suppose to know what you own especially as you did ask for "Alternative options"

:)

Sorry pal, ive assumed nothing about you, unless you've taken something personal from a generalized "This is what you want" Which translates to 'this is good, ideal, a handy bit of kit etc etc'
Plus how im suppose to know what you own especially as you did ask for "Alternative options"

:)
No worries! :) Just though I'd clarify, since I honestly was pineappled off with myself for buying it.
so, do you use the japanese version of a square to set blades at all? I'm in particular interested in the 45 degrees bevel setting.

I am looking at buying that square but "pocket size" is hardly a unit of measurement and I noticed it looks to be marked in Imperial units not that, that maters for a setup square.

The other square is the Woodpeckers one, Woodpeckers Mini Square

and that has a statement of quote:

Guaranteed Accuracy. Woodpeckers are so confident that their Precision Aluminum Squares are the best, most accurate square you'll own, they cover them by a Lifetime Guarantee to stay square to within a minimum of .001" or we'll replace it.
Yeah, I've seen the woodpecker, but you don't get the 45 degrees, which is very essential for me.

No worries! :) Just though I'd clarify, since I honestly was pineappled off with myself for buying it.
so, do you use the japanese version of a square to set blades at all? I'm in particular interested in the 45 degrees bevel setting.
Can I ask what prob you had with the digital gauge ?, i found them to be a bit fiddly, but i like the accuracy of it.

I use the Jap' square for quick checks, but its not something i really need to do all the time as off saw usually goes across the surface planer.
As the mitre trimmer is flat, the digital gauge doesnt work with the digital the Jap' square is used for that. Plus I do use it on the saw and surfacer fence as its quicker and easier to check with. So I suppose thats a yes to your question.
Personally I've found it to be accurate enough for blades and fences, but there might be more replies so someone will suggest something better.
I like the digital because i can set variable sizes like 22.5 etc or when making hex shaped multi sided boxes/columns

Can I ask what prob you had with the digital gauge ?, i found them to be a bit fiddly, but i like the accuracy of it.

I use the Jap' square for quick checks, but its not something i really need to do all the time as off saw usually goes across the surface planer.
As the mitre trimmer is flat, the digital gauge doesnt work with the digital the Jap' square is used for that. Plus I do use it on the saw and surfacer fence as its quicker and easier to check with. So I suppose thats a yes to your question.
Personally I've found it to be accurate enough for blades and fences, but there might be more replies so someone will suggest something better.
I like the digital because i can set variable sizes like 22.5 etc or when making hex shaped multi sided boxes/columns

Well, mainly the fact that I can not get my saw to do 45 degrees with it. The accuracy of said gadget is +-0.2 degrees, but in reality it does not work for me, saw cuts everything in between. Also, the gadget does not give me consistent readings even using to re-check the same position. I basically gave up on it. Might be a lemon, but might be it's what they are too.
So having no good square that does exactly 45 degrees I can't make anything with 45 degrees because I do not have a reference. So f.e. I have a shooting board with 90c. I've managed to get it to where I need with my Starrett square. Obviously, I can't get the shooting board with 45 degrees in the way I need because, well... I do not have an exact reference.

Hope this makes sense.

well, there's still that +-0.2 degree, altho, it does look more advaced than the version I have.
Have you used the square I mention? What is your impression? I assume you must have handled it since you are selling them, would be nice to hear from you about it actually.

Thanks!

Hi Siggy

I have handled the square but not used it much around the workshop, good for setting up your saw at 90 and 45, also can be used for setting the height of the saw blade, router cutters etc.

I do use my Angle Cube all the time, the new backlight version is also proving popular.

iGaging AngleCube Level and Protractor with Backlight - 3rd Generation

Cheers

Peter

Latest posts

Back