Fascinating Radio 4 programs on the Fens by Francis Pryor.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Heard episode 2 by chance today while in the van. I thought it was incredible. Scrabbling round for a pen so I could write his name down and search the others up later at home.
Here they are. Only short, 15 minutes or so each.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006lp8

Just to update, listened to episode one last night and it's excellent too. This is not just about the Fens, the Fens have just preserved it, but early society, cultural beliefs the role of nature and trees and water in a bronzeish ironish age, when the roots of agriculture where just being sown. A few ancient primordial oaks still remained. Pruning trees by pollarding and coppice was used as an early system of farming timber.
We all have our preconceptions of 'primative' but more and more evidence is pointing to the fact that these societies , long having left hunter gathering behind, were moving on at this period to not just keeping stock but planting crops and arable farming. We constantly seem to underestimate those who came before us but actually, these people were the same as us, they spent their nights looking at the stars. It shouldn't really be that surprising that great leaps were made over countless generations.
What blew my mind was that it's now reckoned they had enough savvy to predict lunar eclipses. Seeing patterns is one thing. Predicting patterns is another step up. You have to wonder what level of intellect did these people attain? Fascinating stuff.
How do we (let's be honest, how do they know this) From the wood they planted as stakes and when. At least in part.
It's masterful.
If you want to know more you'll have to listen to it yourself. :D

You might enjoy a trip up the A1 to Peterborough and flag fen.
My son did an archeology degree and worked for a short while with Francis Prior's wife.
What she didn't know about wood wasn't worth knowing

I have found it fascinating for years Lurker. It runs so deep.
Bit off topic but related, my old man speaking Welsh to some French(ish) fellas in a dedicated traditional Breton shop (in Brittany obviously).
My Dad was speaking Welsh, they were speaking Breton (or Briton) and they were happily chatting away . Few linguistic differences of course after 1000 years odd but yeh. That's insane.

Just felt an overwhelming urge to post something on here.

I too listen to radio 4 not a bad station once you get used to it. :D

Hi

For those who miss Time Team, I seem to recollect that Francis was one of the stalwart members. Anyway I can soon check as they seem to be re-running them all on 'Yesterday'

Phil

Back