Farmhouse style table - general advice requested!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thetyreman":1fjew4m1 said:
rafezetter":1fjew4m1 said:
thetyreman":1fjew4m1 said:
I would definitely go with breadboard ends as well, but proper breadboard ends are not a walk in the park for a beginner, they are at least intermediate level possibly advanced level, you'd have to practise some joinery first and be good at mortise and tenons and drilling precise holes for the pins, some people think they're ugly but I see them as a sign of quality and it's going to be an heirloom piece not just another throw away table if you do it properly.

hmm, not REALLY "intermediate level possibly advanced" - I've done it a few times inc on the tabletop previously mentioned - routed out the mortice and chopped the tenon (and not even with a fancy router table either), fitting the tenons is just a matter of patience and a sholder plane, or careful paring with chisel. Marking the position of the pins first drilling through with a small 3mm bit, then offsetting the tenon pin hole by a smidge towards the table, so it draws on the breadboard end for a tight fit.

If I can do it with my inadequately tooled "workshop" - anyone else can in a similar situation.

You can even simplfy it and not do M&T's and just cut a long tenon for the board ends (just router down the thickness both sides by an equal amount) then slot cut the breadboard end to suit.

I've done it both ways and the latter seems simpler, but really you have to be just as careful fitting the tenon in a slot as opposed to a mortice, by routering it a little "fat" and paring down as normal.

Pins go in the centre of each table board for minimal lateral movement.

Plenty of vids on the subject to watch.

I wouldn't do it that way but thanks for the lecture on table making.

:roll: WOW, just WOW ....... Seriously thetyreman - get a grip, that information was for JulianF -

Edit - a comment from the OP, which I read, but you clearly missed thetyreman:

julianf":1fjew4m1 said:
2) Thank you to dzj for picking up on my moderate skill level. I mean im careful not to overplay things when asking for advice, as i would rather have too detailed a response than one assuming that i knew, but getting a "dont do it, youre not good enough" is always a little dull!

Hence the reason for my "lecture".

You effectively said "you're not good enough", while I tried to show that HE IS good enough to have a go - "rustic" is what he wants and as a beginner "rustic" breadboard ends is what he'll get.

Under that context thetyreman, care to revise your previous post? Or are you happy to let that snide and unecessary remark stand in perpetuity?

{redacted}

Curious.... How would YOU the tyreman make a breadboard end seeing as the two ways I described are the two most common ways of doing it for a beginner like Julianf? Please DO enlighten us.

Gentlemen. You are all nice guys, but having a fall out in a thread doesn't help the OP and even I am confused what people are arguing about now. Can we press a reset button? It's Saturday and will be a lovely sunny day.

I tried to post a picture of a rustic table with a thick oak top. Sometimes I can do it here but sometimes the resizing thing defeats me. Like today.

Would this kinda thing be considered somewhere inbetween fine work and rustic?
Guessing the OP has a good lot more iron stains than this to add that character.
Just an example

Attachments

• Iron staining.JPG
    Iron staining.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 105
AJB Temple":2k49nix1 said:
Gentlemen. You are all nice guys, but having a fall out in a thread doesn't help the OP and even I am confused what people are arguing about now. Can we press a reset button? It's Saturday and will be a lovely sunny day.

I tried to post a picture of a rustic table with a thick oak top. Sometimes I can do it here but sometimes the resizing thing defeats me. Like today.

Any issues with posting an image then just post the link. Generally a moderator will sort it out once posted and if not at least a link illustrates your point.

Back