Fancy that!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered a couple of right-handed tape-measures off the internet the other day (all normal ones are for left-handers - really). Anyway I wanted the numbers to go from right to left.

I have pop-ups blocks so the order went through without the payment being made. Couldn't be bothered to go through it all again so I rang up and paid by phone.

Yesterday email arrives:
Thank you for your order, blah-blah, deliver a day or two, blah-blah, regards, blah-blah.
PS Say Hello to Kitty over the garden wall when you see her.

Turns out I had bought from my next-door-neighbour's son-in-law!

Small world.

Cheers
Steve

LMAO.

Rutlands sell both right to left and left to right adhesive tapes for using on a mitre saw fence.
That's a bit more accurate than the pencil marks I drew on mine. ;)

I phoned LV to place an order. 'Annabel' answered and she sounded very nice indeed, and was that a mid Atlantic accent... I wasn't sure, cos I didn't know if I was speaking to a Canadian or not.

"Can I have your address please Mr Dart".

"Yes, its <blah, blah - spelling placenames slowly>"

"Oh, I know where that is!"

"Really!"

"Yes I used to live in Ross" (just across the county).

Turned out, she emigrated 11 years ago, but comes back fairly regularly (this Christmas too). What a small world, eh!.

Ike

Steve, very funny story :lol:

The right/left handed tape thing is quite and interesting study in ergonomics. I see the benefit of the "right handed tape" for marking out - obviously its nice to have the pencil in your right hand, tape measure in your left and still have the numbers the right way up.

However, conversely when using the tape to measure distances I would always hold it in my right hand, as I have more coordination with that hand. In that case, the standard "left handed" version is more useful.

Thinking about it most short cuts I'll mark up with a metre rule, because I trust it more, and longer stuff I'll reach over with my left hand, to steady the tape box.

Interesting one though, you can see why people have decided to make the alternate version. I wonder if left handed people would find it easier for measuring.

Cheers
Martyn

Back