Fancy a workout?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIGNAL

Established Member
Reaction score
With one of these?

Attachments

• ba1.jpg
    ba1.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 494
Yes, it's a Bahco but with a difference. It can be resharpened although you will need a certain type of saw file for it. The price is a little more than your average plastic handled saw too.
I bought it to xcut firewood logs as I've never been impressed with the ubiquitous bow saws, including Bahco's own. It's coarse and it works very well. So far I've only cut 5" cherry logs. Not sure I want to cut anything much above 6", not at my age. Might be good for losing a bit of weight and knock a few points off the old BP results.

Attachments

• ba2.jpg
    ba2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 489
£30 at that well known big river. It's not a saw that has wide appeal, not that many places seem to stock it. More commonly available is the version for cutting plasterboard. It has a very similar model number PC-24 pls, this one is PC-24 tim.
Brutul it is, it also arrived sharp! No need to touch it up. I must admit that the ability to resharpen it was also a big factor in buying it. I even had the idea of making a nice wood handle for it. Doubt that I will.

that nifty! the teeth are cut at an extra steep angle ("improved gullets"?).

I've been watching japanese auctions for saws on a relatively regular basis. There's only one japanese saw that I use (a z crosscut) with any regularity, but the replacement blades often sell in lots of 15 to 20 in japan for about five bucks, and they're much more here.

Strangely enough, I've noticed that the NOS firewood saws are suddenly popular there and when they show up (likely antique pickers), they end up being too expensive for me to even thing about playing with them.

Little bits and bobs of doing things by hand are also showing up at home depot here - increasing the size of the garden hand tool area and offering high quality garden tools above and beyond the cheapest stamped stuff, as well as stocking a manual reel in the lawn section.

Yes the teeth are shaped somewhat differently, large rounded gullets too, hence why a specific type of saw file is required. It cuts on both strokes. No idea what the primary purpose of the saw is - perhaps framing, cutting large joists and firewood. It does say made in Sweden, plenty of big softwood timbers in that part of the world. I think Bahco have come up with a good one. Wish they would start making a finer tooth version for more furniture/cabinet work, one that can also be resharpened.

lots of birch. I've watched videos (in the distant past now) of guys in scandinavian woods and it seems like it's all birch trees. It looks like it saws and responds to an axe really well, which explains why their axes have thin cheeks without much bulge. The axe patterns here have a pronounced center bulge and rounding to prevent being stuck.

I tried to look up the name on that saw, but it looks like a brand they use for everything (it brought me a video of an insulation saw!!!).

there's a little cheat, of course. It's like the time you haven't gone to the drug store and you're with your girlfriend...just this once..

..wait, never mind.

But, with the saw, the first time, just the tip.....

....of the teeth.

jeez.

at any rate, just filing the last little bits until there's nothing rounded, and you're good to go.

I do this with disposable japanese saws with a diamond file. I know I've read a million times that they can't be resharpened. They're impulse hardened - but diamonds file them just fine. then there's "you'll file off the hard part and the saw won't hold its edge".

OK ....I'm using a 240 z saw that's been refiled and boy was it an improvement over the dull saw and boy have i not noticed it to have a problem holding the edge. But like this saw, I'm not going to look for something to drop the gullet.

This thread also inspired me to just go out and get the z blades off of the japanese auction site. 24 of them for $120.

Apparently the 265mm version is a replacement for the 240 because it's the one everywhere now. I'll dump all but about 5 of them in groups on ebay and share the wealth with some other folks who may not like the idea of $25 with shipping for a $5 replacement blade.

D_W":3fqg7ks3 said:
I tried to look up the name on that saw, but it looks like a brand they use for everything (it brought me a video of an insulation saw!!!).

I did the same and got the same!

In the end, I went to the back site and filtered until the large tooth heart came up. Then searched their where to buy and none of them list it.
Sadly, it seems it's only the richest guy on the planet that sells them. Grrr!

Mytoolshed do it at £26. No doubt postage on top. They are out of stock though. There are a few other places but the all in cost will creep nearer to £40.

Back