Fan timer - mains operated

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to install a bathroom type fan to circulate air round my cellar and do not want it to run off the lighting circuit in the traditional manner (mainly because I am not down there often enough to switch the light on to make such a traditional operation method useful). As such I was looking to put some form of programmable timer in that would switch on the fan at pre-set intervals. I can find loads of timers that you plug appliances into, but am having less luck with one that takes a mains input and has a cable rather than a socket output. Rather I am sure they exist, but googling for them is not that easy as I am not sure they have a specific name so I just get loads of the socket type. Seen this in screwfix - anyone able to say if it does what I want it to? (I know the reviews of it are not great)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/92842...gital-Timer-Switch-Frame-3A-240V#BVRRWidgetID

I do not really want to get into heating timers for hot water unless I have to or unless its the best way to go as these tend to be expensive and related to thermostats from my brief search, just want something very basic with a programmable on and off system say twice a day. Can try an electrical supply shop for advice but cannot get to one for a couple of weeks, so if anyone can advise happy to hear it!

Cheers,

Steve

Hi,

Why not put a 13A plug on the cable to the fan?

Pete

I've got an electronic timer doing a similar job that I bought from Screwfix a few years ago. It looks like they've discontinued it in favour of something too complicated for most people.

If you don't need different times for each day of the week, battery back-up etc you can still get the easy to understand mechanical type such as this from Toolstation, though I expect any electrical wholesaler would have one:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...chanical+Timer+24hrs+16amp/d190/sd2660/p99432

Thanks Guys. Have to admit to feeling a bit of a donkey now - didn't even think of putting a plug on the fan, just had it hardwired into my brain that you don't do that with fans but of course it's not going into a bathroom so there is no reason at all why not :oops: :oops:

No need for different times of the day on different days, just want to ensure air circulation so couple of hours on in the morning and evening should be fine depending on the noise/volume of air movement.

Appreciate the help!

Steve

Back