fan extractor in workshop door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw the article in the GWW this month where the american has fitted an extractor fan to his workshop door.

I looked at two or three catalogues to price up such a fan(high extraction rates) and costs were reaching HUNDREDS.
Anyone seen far eastern supplier type prices anywhere?

The best prices I have seen for fans is at Machine Mart. I looked at them when designing a spray booth for myself. In the end I did not build the booth so never tried the fans.

If you want to talk really expensive fans then look at ones with explosion-proof motors they cost a fortune.

How about many small fans, they seem to be fairly cheap from places like Screwfix. OK so clearly not the tidiest option but I don't see why the end result should be any different. You could probably run them all of the same switch and site some in the windows if you run out of door space. They would surely result in general movement of dust laden air to elsewhere. It sounds like a really good idea for tackling the general fine airbourne dust problem.

Hi devonwoody,
I have been recommended to view this site and have just registered, some excellant topics discussed, with regards your query on fans built into workshop doors,(i have to admit i havent seen the one in GWW as yet) before i finished my current workshop i had a large extractor fan wall mounted in my last workshop, i didnt have a large roof space so it was mounted about 6foot off the ground, from personal experience it was a bad move as it allowed in wind if it wasnt switched on, it was also very noisy which i couldnt bear for long periods, after wearing hearing protectors my ears resembled pork chops within 1/2 hour or so running, it might work great in a warm climate but not in sunny scotland.
for fine dust i use air filters i have a jet one and also a home built one 'thread'(you can see home built one in GWW issue 150), these filters are excellant at controllling fine dust in day to day activitys. but it really depends on what you are trying to control, if its dust the standerd filters are fine if its fume you would need charcoal type filters, check out next issue of GWW for a more in depth on these. sorry for going off topic slightly but these fans are used more for spray based finishing, if that is what you are wanting the fan for then try and have it so you can shutter it in when its not required, machine mart do supply them but as it was mentioned at a price, DJ manning Auctioneers based in scotland have a huge sale every year with machine mart returns there were a large number at there last sale not sure if thats a good or bad point though hope this was of help

Welcome to the forum, Ian. I don't suppose I could ask you a favour? Could you stop making your workshop equipment look better than the furniture in my house?! :lol:

Ian Dalziel":3vf9ad1a said:
DJ manning Auctioneers based in scotland have a huge sale every year with machine mart returns there were a large number at there last sale not sure if thats a good or bad point though
Hmm, a mite worrying, I'd say... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

This maybe as stupid suggestion, but have you thought of vertically mounting a second hand or cheap cooker hood that can extract out through the wall.

I guess I'm in for it now.

Waka

Some very good observations made on this topic.
My concern is wood dust, I have a double garage in use as a workshop but every thing above floor level has a layer of wood dust. (I sweep the floor etc. thats why it is clean)
I have the SIP dust extractor that came with the P/T which I also connect to my band saw, and a Triton vacumn system which I attach to my other tools, but there is obviously a lot of fine dust in the air for it to accumulate in the workshop.
Anyone got a clean workshop? and how do you do it?

What we call "dust extractors" are really "chip collectors". They suck up the gubbins from the saw, P/T etc, and then although they are rated to "5 microns or lower" or whatever the manufacturer claims, in fact this only occurs when the upper filter is so caked, it doesn't let any air through. This also means you get no suction. To put it bluntly, they are effectively blowing dust out, all over your shop.

If you want to deal with fine dust - the nasty stuff, either A) go and look at the links in the recent cyclone thread, or B) vent your chip collector outside your workshop, to make sure the dust gets deposited outside*. *this should only be done if there is no risk of sucking exhaust gases from your central heating boiler into your workshop. This really made a difference for me, my workshop is mostly clear of dust now. On the other hand, it's so small, running the extractor emptys the entire workshop in a few seconds!.

Devonwoody,
I have two dust extractors and a ceiling mounted fine dust cleaner-still a fine layer of dust appears! :oops:
I do a Spring clean every now and again to keep things clear.

Ian,
Welcome to the forum-I really enjoy your articles in GW, keep up the good work! Hope you can pass on your workshop wisdom :D
cheers,
Philly :D

Thanks for all the comments on this dust extraction problem which appears to effect all of us .
My opinion is that the most dust generated is my table saw (triton workcentre ) and I think a cheap solution might be to put the saw in one of those cheap garden sheds (£89) being sold by the DIY outlets.
I know they are only 6x4 but with suitable outlet openings stragically placed or modified doors (both ends etc) might be a way to get rid of the naughty boy.
Anyone gone down this route?

Back