Family name plaque - using Cherry Wood - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toesy

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of you may be aware of me making this in pine, and the issues I had with the wood warping.

So here is one in Cherry Wood, I have to cut the family names inside the letters and then sand, and then Danish oil - hopefully by the weekend I'll have some more pictures for you.

Attachments

• Family Cherry Wood.jpg
    Family Cherry Wood.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 1,127
Roughcut":3vnie4ps said:
Looks good Toesy.
Can I ask you what you use for your letter design layout please?

I use Microsoft Publisher, but since I have purchased Serif Draw Plus X5 - I am using this more and more.

martinka":38uwv69p said:
I have to say I find the neatness of your cutting to be absolutely amazing.

Thank you ever so much, I do take my time, although sometimes sanding the edge of the letter hides a few mistakes :wink: :wink:

Really nice piece of professional cutting toesy. You are a natural and it's a pleasure to look at your cutting as it is so neat, straight and precise. You shouldn't have the same problems with cherry that you had with the pine.

Thank you for showing the WIP, it should inspire and encourage all of us.

Barry

toesy":2iw5fscm said:
Roughcut":2iw5fscm said:
Looks good Toesy.
Can I ask you what you use for your letter design layout please?

I use Microsoft Publisher, but since I have purchased Serif Draw Plus X5 - I am using this more and more.

Thanks for that Toesy.

Further update, I have now cut the names into the letters, this takes ages :( or maybe im just slow at this..

Also one coat of Danish Oil applied, sorry about the pics took on me phone.

Thanks again for all the kind words

Attachments

• Family Names Cut LR.jpg
    Family Names Cut LR.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 976
Toesy, it looks wonderful with the names and a coat of oil and extremely professional looking. You really have taken to cutting, huh.

Those names are so small and intricate and is a credit to your cutting skills and patience, of which, you have more than me ;-)

Exceptional, Toesy. Just stunning workmanship.

It looked good before but the names - and especially the choice of font/script - take it to another level.
However long it took you it was worth the effort.

Absolutely brilliant, I can only dream of cutting to that standard...can I ask what size blade you were using? Still finding my feet myself, it's definitely an art which takes a lot of skill and practice to get even close to these standards, thanks for sharing.

Scottlefley":1twfurl3 said:
Absolutely brilliant, I can only dream of cutting to that standard...can I ask what size blade you were using? Still finding my feet myself, it's definitely an art which takes a lot of skill and practice to get even close to these standards, thanks for sharing.

I use Olson - Precision Ground Tooth, Skip Reverse – PGT 5 & 7

Then for finer cutting, Flying Dutchman and some other Olson fine blades

Thanks to everyone for the very kind words... your all to kind.

Back