Famag, Fisch, Colt or other. Best Lip and Spur or Forstner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eoinsgaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Is there a general order of preference between Famag, Fisch or Colt bits? There is relatively good value to be got with Fisch but I wonder if that’s at a quality price.
Or is there another comparable brand to be considered?
Eoin

I have managed to bend the shanks on large Fisch bits in green oak. Likewise Axminster. No experience of Famag or Colt.

I've got some Colt bits and they do the business with no problems. That said, I use an eggbeater drill, which might not be of relevance if you're going to use a power drill.

In modest sizes, Famag. Being HSS they won't die if they get hot (small diam, high rpm), and are available in 0.5mm steps. Won't be easy to sharpen. If entry not a problem Guhring do a 4facet (& it's cobalt too) HSS, not quite as a spur, but the 4 facet point does not wander like a standard morse drill grind. You need a jig to create your own 4 facet points (see Tormek). Larger sizes are a problem; many old jennings augers turn out to have a coarse entry spiral (for softwood) and will sieze in hardwood. I believe some new fine entry spiral augers are on sale at $40-50 a throw...Even modest forstener/sawtooth work quite well with a fettle, if you can use a drill press and don't get them too hot.

Maybe not so much for lip and spur? But Star M are definitely worth a look. Been hugely impressed with their auger bits. I would personally try their lip spur range if i could justify the money for any top range bits as they seem to come on a little cheaper?
The only ones I didn't get on with was a 19mm bit that is designed to prevent tearout on exit. It does that great. Just tears out the entry hole instead. Not a winner for me at least in hardwood. The auger bits I have used are scientific. Also they do a range which suits manual and powered.
No expert obviously.
One downside in uk is supply.
Workshop heaven or go abroad for a bigger range and shipping at fine tools etc
Cheers

I've had really good results with Austrian made fisch bits, they are not cheap but well worth it.

I've got a Famag 10mm drill bit. It cost me £1 per mm in diameter :D. It's an excellent bit and leaves a lovely smooth bore, clean entry and exit and cuts extremely efficiently and quickly. I keep it locked in a safe with all my other valuables as it's too precious to use on actual wood.

I have a relatively cheap set of Heller bits that I keep touched up on the grinder, they work pretty well.

I've got a couple of Fisch's Black series forstner bits. Very impressed. Only used them on oak, walnut and ash up to now, but they leave a very clean finish. 15mm and 19mm.

Bought from Axminster for convenience, but I'll be looking for a cheaper supplier in the future.

Gary.

If you've the cash, the Famag bits are the best you can get. The others I would say are roughly at the same quality level. I've found Fisch ones are slightly undersized, which may even be preferable if you're using a drill press with moderate runout (most have a fair amount). Small sample size but all 5 of mine are about 0.25mm smaller than the marked size.

Back